2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4matic 4.3L V8 from North America

Summary:

Rust and the cost of frequent repairs turned me off; now buying a Continental

Replaced parts:

2013

Front strut R.H.

Front coil spring R.H.

Brake light switch.

2014

Front drive shaft (4matic).

Front bearing windshield (cracked due to rust in windshield drain in the car body; not a stone or any road hazard).

Rear springs (R.H + L.H.).

A/C condenser.

A/C compressor.

A/C fan.

Rust creeping (paint job).

2015

HID bulb.

Hood lock.

Water pump.

Serpentine belt.

Thermostat.

Rust creeping again (2nd paint job).

General Comments:

Mileage (kilometers) driven since purchase: 175,000 - 125,000 = 50,000km

Cost of repairs (excluding regular maintenance): CDN $5,940.

AVG. $5,940/50,000km = CDN $0.12/km.

Driving comfort and "roominess": more than sufficient.

Engine: smooth and "delivering".

Fuel mileage: good for the car's size (do not get too excited; it is "premium"!)

Transmission: hesitates at lower RPM (similar to "turbo lag"), "lazy transmission".

Not an engine or riding comfort, but the numerous and frequent repairs/replacements and the cost of car ancillary equipment (OEM or not) caused me to lose my enthusiasm towards the brand.

Decent fuel mileage does not compensate for the cost and nuisance of "incidentals"!

This was not my first MB! Previous car was a C280; not a perfect car either, but in retrospect, a better one. In my opinion anyway.

Enough of used Mercedes for me!

Next car: Lincoln Continental 1997-2002 vintage.

At least replacement parts will be less expensive and NO RUST.

P.S. Beware of those "best car ever built" or "battle ship durability" types comments coming from the overenthusiastic owners that put 5 or 6k miles on a car.

Review Date: 31st May, 2015

31st May 2015, 22:25

Interesting, a similar era Volvo needs about the same repairs at similar miles. This includes the shock absorbers, a few (but expensive) suspension bushings, A/C and alternator pulleys. Also the radiator fan. As for the thermostat, belts and pulleys, it's normal maintenance at these miles.

On the other side, about every single 2000s E-class I see here in my town in Canada is more or less terribly rusted. It is just pathetic. Together with the Maxima, it has to be the most rusted 10 years old car on the road. There is also the Mazda 3, but this one is in a 'class apart'.

In opposition, I have yet to see a rusted Volvo.

Finally, I wish so much my Volvo had the same interior space as the E-class. I'm really jealous when I see the Mercedes and how comfortable it does indeed look.

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Elegance 2.6 V6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Brilliant value for money

So far so good, no issues after 12 months.

General Comments:

Very smooth on the motorway, good handling for such a big car. The suspension is very capable of soaking up potholes and rough roads.

Cloth seats are in excellent condition and supportive, and are comfortable on long journeys.

The engine is impressively quiet and smooth, and there's plenty of legroom front and back.

Review Date: 17th January, 2015

2001 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Avantgarde 3.2 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unfortunately, not very positive

Turbo failure.

General Comments:

I have owned this car for about 1 week. I have done 500 miles in that time. The turbo has just failed; I paid £1500 for the car, and I have been quoted £1480 to replace the turbo.

The seats are relatively hard, but still comfortable.

The automatic gearbox is perfect, tiptronic is really useful, fuel economy is good.

I chose this car for a combination of reliability, economy and performance. The latter are correct.

I will be looking for a VW Passat 1.9 TDI next.

Review Date: 15th January, 2014

21st Jan 2014, 20:59

No, no, no! Do not get a Passat! Believe me, you will get much more than just a turbo failing, especially if it is an auto/DSG.

22nd Jan 2014, 12:30

The 1.9 TDI is fine - the 2.0 ones give some problems depending on the version. And since the reviewer was from the UK, chances are it's a manual, not a DSG.

9th Jun 2014, 16:07

You've bought a Mercedes for 1500; what did you expect? If you are on a budget, don't buy a Mercedes, buy a Japanese or Korean car.

31st May 2015, 19:52

To all those Mercedes apologists.

Most of the time, when the majority of buyers purchase a car for a low price, “some repairs” are expected to be on the horizon.

The problem is how many, how often and how much will they cost?

In my opinion Mercedes exceeds all those expectations.

To be clear; too many, too often, and they cost far too much.

They are enjoyable cars otherwise.

Signed, JD (sobered up owner of two of them).