1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 5.6 liter gas Automatic
Distance when acquired142000 miles
Previous carVolvo 242

Summary:

Swanky nightmare

So many things, I can scarcely keep track: exhaust leak, power steering pump, fuel pump, and fuel sending unit come to mind immediately.

General Comments:

Yes, they're classics. Yes, they're incredibly comfortable and swanky. Even at 23 years old, it drove like a dream -- when it drove!

I found a remarkably solid example in Kentucky. As it had had a top end engine and suspension rebuilds, it seemed like a good choice for a luxo cruiser. Even using independent Mercedes specialists, ordinary repairs (which you should expect at 142 K miles) cost me $4,500 in four months! Unless you do your own work, pass this by!

Review Date: 26th March, 2013

1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 56 SEC 5.6 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 5.6 liter Automatic
Previous carFord Thunderbird

Summary:

Best built car ever

Needs head gasket not repaired yet.

General Comments:

This car is Fantastic!! For it's age it is a beauty and I can't believe how well it handles on the road. It is meant to drive and I look forward to driving it everyday.

Review Date: 30th October, 2007

1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 560 SEL 5.6 Liter V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.6 Liter V8 Automatic

Summary:

Very sharp and elegant, but not practical for 2007

The dealer sold us the car with a broken sunroof motor, and the parts plus labor ended up costing $600 so it is still broken.

I have to get it taken in every few months to tighten the belts and flush the power steering fluid, and that always costs well over $1,000.

At 83k miles the air conditioning compressor broke, and in Florida's brutal heat this is not acceptable. However the German car expert wants $2k to get it fixed and I highly doubt it should cost that much.

I went over a bump a little too fast and the radiator blew. It cost us another $1,000.

General Comments:

This car is very classy and is very advanced for its time - with standard ABS, SRS and hydro pneumatic level control. This car would survive any kind of collision and wouldn't have a scratch.

It's a true German tank. It's very solid and has an extremely powerful engine - love those 8 cylinders.

The powerful engine gives me an awful 10 MPG, costing me about $70-$90/week on gas alone.

However repairs have been extremely costly and the car obviously was not taken care of by the previous owner, it's a shame.

The interior is comfortable and the front and back seats are heated, and the back seat can recline. My friends always complain that it's too bouncy though.

This car is not for short people - the hood is gigantic. I have to sit on a pillow to be able to see the road (and I'm 5'2). It's very hard to steer (it takes a lot of arm power), and it's extremely difficult to park.

Review Date: 29th October, 2007

13th Mar 2008, 18:16

It costs you over $1000 to get the belts tightened and the power steering fluid flushed? That makes no sense. First of all, these things should not cost anywhere near that much.

Second, I don't know why you find this necessary but it should not be needed that often. Something else is wrong if that's the case (though I can't imagine what that might be since it does not make any sense).

You seem to be getting ripped off.

1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class SEC 420 V8 from Estonia

Engine and transmission 420 V8 Automatic
Distance when acquired191000 kilometres
Most recent distance197000 kilometres

Summary:

Probably one of the 10 best cars ever built... EVER!

Suspension needed serious repairs, (around 1500€ spent on it).

The Curtain on back window is not working.

Rear left window (electrical), is not working.

Radiator is slightly leaking (has not been replaced yet).

Air Con need refilling.

General Comments:

This is my first car and for me it was a dream come true, when I saw this baby on sale. At first I was looking for w124 coupe, but my friend who owns a 560 SEC (probably the one in best condition in our small country) managed to change my mind. It was the first car we went to see and as the body was in superb order (no rust at all, which in our climate and road conditions for so old car is extremely rare), I decided to buy it.

So what did I get for 4500€:

Black leather interior, (heated) electric seats (with memory functions), cruise control, ASR, Air Con, Self-leveling hydraulic suspension, electric sunroof, 4X electric windows, heated rear window etc.

Comments:

- "There is no replacement for Displacement" V8 165kw is superb, compared to the Golf we have in family. 200 km/h is no problem.

- Everyone wonders how silent it is. Absolutely incomparable to mid-class cars.

- It has the looks! New S-classes are too common nowadays here. But this baby is rare and turns heads. Germans say that this one of the last Mercs made, where engineers and designers (not accountants) were in charge and one can see and feel it. both interior and exterior has high quality and style in every detail.

- A truly simple car. It could be said that it is over-engineered, as every minor mechanism can be fully disintegrated (and fixed), if needed. Therefore it is relatively cheaper to repair (compared to newer cars). I do minor repairs by myself and I'm an office rat, not a mechanic :)

- Not the cheapest car to maintain. Mine was built 17 years ago and it starts to show. But taken into consideration the age, build quality is truly superb. These cars are built to last.

- All in all: anyone who plans to get one, it is expensive to maintain and it doesn't pay off if you need a car to get you from A to B. If you need something that can do that in style and comfort, it is THE THING!

Review Date: 30th April, 2007