1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 420 SEL gas from North America

Summary:

The perfect full size sedan

There is a bit of a rough idle when cold.

General Comments:

This is a dream car; the perfect car to eat up hundreds of miles effortlessly; set the cruise at 160 k and just cruise; quiet, soooo comfortable, classy and reliable; we recently left it unplugged at the airport and jetted to Jamaica; came back to a car left in the -40 weather for a week solid; 2 turns and it went; the best car I have ever owned.

Review Date: 25th February, 2007

7th Mar 2007, 16:27

I also have one (3/7/07) with 112,000 miles. I also bought a new 500 sedan. The latter sits in the garage except for short trips. I use the 420sel for trips of 500-3000 miles with a better ride, less fear of a breakdown and a real saloon feeling. Best saloon ever made.

1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 560 SEL from North America

Summary:

It will be hard to buy another car of such quality

We've been lucky so far.

General Comments:

Top of line performance and luxury.

My husband and I bought our 1991 560 SEL a week before our first son was born last year. His mother had a 1973 420, which prompted us to look for a quality used car for our new family. We had no idea that the 1991 model was the last of their kind.

The fellow that sold to us had no idea either, there was only 80,000 miles on the motor, everything worked, sunroof, heated seats, a perfect interior and pearl black paint that told us it was probably stored in the garage with a cover. He sold it to us for only $2,000!!!

We have to make sure to look at the speedometer often, as the ride is so smooth it's hard to tell you're cruising over the speed limit, it was built for the speed limit less Autobahn.

We recently moved cross-country and I could not imagine driving anything else. I feel bad for my husband, after a full day of driving the moving truck he was tired, but I felt good. Even if your back starts to hurt, the heated seats melt it away.

His Uncle was willing to trade his 2000 Mercury Cougar for it....NO WAY!! Especially after the numerous problems, they have.

We got lucky!

!Gute Fahrt auf dem Autobahn!

Review Date: 11th August, 2006

19th Aug 2006, 19:48

Congratulations! I recommend you replace the timing chain, chain tensioner and cam tubes (the plastic bits that oil the cam lobes). Maybe also the engine mounts. Then keep the car for 25 or more years!

8th Jan 2007, 21:29

We have a 1988 560 SEC with 211,000 miles on it that we have owned since it had about 65,000 miles and we have not had to replace any of the timing components. I would, however, recommend finding a good import mechanic like we have, because these cars require preventive maintenance.

1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300SE Classic 3.0 from Hong Kong

Summary:

A luxury bargain with great reliability

Only regular service required.

Oil change, transmission oil change, engine flushed, added Slick50, clean fuel injector.

Replaced brake pads.

General Comments:

This is a great car, the last year of the W126 with over built engineering and it still drives like new.

It is extremely comfortable on the highway. This is more of a highway cruiser than a stop and go traffic. If you drive gently, the fuel economy is great for a Benz S-Class. The interior is still like new, the quality is better than the new Benz.

If you take care of this car with regular maintenance, this car will last for ever.

Review Date: 25th July, 2004

1991 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300sel six from North America

Summary:

Excellent vehicle, classic luxury

I purchased this car with the intent to rebuild it and bring it up to new condition. first of all when you compare the price of a new s class (excess of $80000), this is a worthwhile investment. the car is like new and having Mercedes Benz of Athens, Ga do the work guaranteed the results would be perfect. I was able to locate parts on the net, and they had no problem installing them for me.

So far, I have rebuilt the front end, new brakes, replaced engine gaskets and seals, new water pump, new shocks,rebuilt transmission, tune up, new tires, and new wheels. This car runs like new and at significant savings.

General Comments:

Incredible safe ride and responsive handling.

It is a classic mercedes and stands out in terms of workmenship even after 13 years.

The interior is like new, large, and comfortable.

This car will do 250000 miles, which is bad for an investment of 20% of new car.

Review Date: 31st May, 2004

18th Jul 2008, 03:24

I am an owner of a MB 300se 1991 model. At 120 kmh my car engine speed is around 4000. My car comes with a 3 speed auto gear box; is this normal?

21st Mar 2011, 16:12

No it's not. 4 speed auto is the normal gearbox. Your 4th gear isn't working obviously.