1996 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S280 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Big, comfortable... a real head turner around town.

Nothing has gone wrong for myself or the previous NZ owner of this car. It has an impeccable service history both from Singe and NZ.

Bought this car after much deliberation. Being ex-Singapore I had been warned that the electrics may have issues due to the humidity. Had this checked out and so far everything is in good working condition.

General Comments:

Having driven far smaller and quicker cars in the past, driving this "tank" has been a new experience. It takes a whole different style of driving to really appreciate its ride and handling. Slow and unhurried comes to mind... but put pedal to metal and it just takes off...

So spacious, beautiful leather seats with the most amazing controls. Recently sat in a friend's C200K and the seat adjustments were nowhere near as accommodating as the S280s.

I bought a 10-year-old car for $NZ8500 which has all the features of a current new car that could have set me back maybe $NZ30-$NZ40,000 ... and it's ruby red!! Some what more character than silver or black,

It's a huge jump from my previous car (which my daughter has inherited) which was a 1300cc 95 Ford Laser.

Review Date: 31st July, 2007

1st Aug 2007, 23:55

Found out it is actually manufactured in 1997, and first registered in Singapore mid 1998.

Also must admit that two things have gone wrong... a blown park lamp that cost $2 to replace and the rear air blower positioned between the front seats doesn't shut all the way off... lol real big deals!

Love the Parktronic as we have a small garage and she only just fits. Also was told I would need to spend over $NZ100,000 to buy a new car with all the features the S280 has, not $30-$40,000 as stated above...

Will add more comments when and if anything changes...

1996 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S500 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

So comfortable, so expensive

Recurring electrical problem with tail light bulb.

Coolant hose split at 88,200km.

General Comments:

This is my third Mercedes and by far the most comfortable car I have ever owned. It has effortless power from the 322hp engine, and one of the nicest interiors I've ever seen.

The drawback, of course, is the (lack of) economy. With a 100L fuel tank, it costs roughly $130 to fill up and I get about 300km to a tank. Insurance is also stratospheric.

Ultimately, although I have no regrets, I've now decided that it's time for me to get a car that's less expensive to run.

Review Date: 13th May, 2007

1996 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S320 L 3.2 petrol / LPG from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Outstanding, breathtaking, the ultimate Benz!

Nothing.

General Comments:

This was the 5th Mercedes I owned, and my first S-Class, and it's one of the greatest cars... ever! The sheer size of this long wheel based version was overpowering to other road users, the car drove as new.

The car was 100% reliable, though it was scary to own as it feels very expensive, and you know any repair needed will set you back.. the main reason I didn't keep it for too long!

The car ran on petrol and LPG, using the very latest LPG system, and there were never any faults with it. The gearbox was the more reliable 4-speed and silky smooth.

In review.. very reliable, the 3.2 delivers great performance, I did 135mph in it (in Germany obviously) and it was smooth and quiet. Returned low 20's to the gallon, but the LPG made up for it. Every Merc enthusiast owe's it to themself to own one at some point.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2006

1996 Mercedes-Benz S-Class S280 2.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Blower on climate control.

General Comments:

Almost perfect, above was rectified by dealer at once. Thought the 2.8 engine may have been underpowered, well maybe it is if you want to be super critical but I have found it excellent, very responsive, the only way the 3.2 would score over it is in the mid range acceleration, but that's not worth the extra £5K plus.

My only regret is not having the sunroof and why have Mercedes not fitted low level fog lights to such a big car. The Coupe has them and space ports exist. Can somebody explain?

Review Date: 1st March, 1998