1984 Mercedes-Benz W123 250 from Australia and New Zealand

A great, useable classic

Nothing, I have three of these cars, and not one have ever broken down.

General Comments:

A well built car.

Cheap and comfy.

Good sized boot.

Easy to drive.

Still no rattles.

Review Date: 28th January, 2011

12th Jan 2013, 03:09

I totally agree!

Its quality, for its age and condition, it is in great shape!

My previous car was a Opel Corsa 160 that was not quality. Its looks were deceiving, and it cost a lot and was sold at a huge loss.

Now after 13 months of driving my land yacht, I have never been happier.

Mercedes rule.

5th Apr 2014, 20:07

I bought my Benz W123 three months back. While washing under the body, I found a little corrosion, hence I put it into the workshop to do the painting. How long can I keep the car without getting corrosion, and advise me what action that I have to take to prevent corrosion happening again?

1984 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D 3.0 I5 turbo diesel from North America

MB doesn't make them like this anymore!

I bought a neglected car, therefore my comments are somewhat not typical of the other posters who say this is the most solid car built.

That said, this is a very sturdy car, but has needed a lot of TLC to bring it back to its former glory.

Since owning it, I've replaced all fuel lines, fuel pump, oil cooler lines (PITA), left ball joint, tie rods, valve adjustment, alignment, brakes, repacked front bearings, exhaust clamps, new antenna, corrected faulty wiring from PO's poor attempt at stereo installation and changed all belts.

I still need to flush out the cooling system, which is filled with rust, and put in Mercedes coolant, change the transmission cooling lines and put in a rebuilt steering box.

Cosmetically, the car also needs some help as the driver's fender is dented and could use paint. I did install euro lights, which helped the appearance some, but overall, it needs a bit more help.

General Comments:

Good car, but not exactly cheap to maintain. I do all my work myself, but sometimes I don't have enough time.

The vacuum system in these cars is quirky and affects the transmission shifting, which was horrid when I got the car.

After a lot of tweaking / adjusting, I've got it to where it is somewhat civilized, but still needs the Midas touch from a trained MB tech. I may bite the bullet and have a MB Indy put some final touches on the transmission adjusting.

Next year, I'm planning on replacing the timing chain & tensioner. Hopefully after that, this car will be as good as new, and provide me with years to service.

I love the diesel engine, and hope to keep this MB for a long time. I also have a 84 300SD and a 86 300SDL, which was crashed and totaled (sadly).

Review Date: 10th January, 2011

1984 Mercedes-Benz W123 300TD from Thailand

Front seat springs and padding had to be repaired.

General Comments:

Has a Toyota 1J engine, and goes like the wind. I knew when I purchased the car that there were some minor problems, such as with some of the electrics, but here in Thailand, where labour is cheap, it has cost me little money to get the repairs done.

I have the estate (van) model, and of all the cars I have had over the years, and most of those being large cars, this car comes out number 1 in my opinion.

I always wanted a classic car, and also a Mercedes, and with this car, I have fulfilled both ambitions.

My car is now in for some minor bodywork repairs and polishing, and when finished, it will look like new.

Want a good classic car? Then look no further than a Mercedes and the W123 model.

Review Date: 4th January, 2011

1984 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D turbo diesel from North America

All things considered, I think the Mercedes 300D is one of the finest automobiles ever made

When I purchased my 300D, the previous owner had put 112,000 miles on it. I took it to a Mercedes-Benz dealership in Memphis, TN to have the car brought up to full operating reliability. A number of repairs and replacement parts were needed, with the final bill exceeding $7500. While the car's exterior and interior were generally in immaculate condition, periodic maintenance had evidently not been regularly done. The following maintenance was performed by the shop:

The radiator was replaced.

The water pump was replaced.

The thermostat was replaced.

Belts and hoses were replaced.

Wheel alignment was performed.

The driver side drink holder was replaced.

The battery was replaced.

Rotors were turned and brake pads were replaced.

The rear decorative rubber bumper strip was reattached.

Air conditioner was serviced.

Oil and filter were changed.

Air filter was changed.

The valves were adjusted.

The fuel filter was changed.

Since the original maintenance was done, I replaced the starter in 2005 at about 120,000 miles.

The air conditioner compressor was replaced in 2006, and I've had to service the climate control system with freon yearly since that time.

The battery was replaced in 2008.

The vacuum lines, by which the automatic door locks work, evidently formed cracks, resulting in loss of the automatic locking feature in 2008.

The controller located on the top, center firewall that operates the climate control system, failed in 2008 at approximately 138,000 miles. I had the unit replaced with a manual valve, so that when I want AC, I close the valve manually. When I need heat and/or defog, I have to manually open the valve.

At 153,000 miles, I had the rotors turned on the front brakes.

At 153,000 miles, the front right wheel bearing was replaced and the front left bearing was repacked.

At 153,000 miles, the exterior paint still looks good, but is fading. The color is a pale yellow (tan).

At 153,000 miles, the camel tan vinyl interior still looks almost new, but has a couple of rub areas on the left side of the driver's seat.

At 153,000 miles, the engine leaks a small amount of oil; not enough to get excited about, but uses no oil between scheduled services.

General Comments:

I bought my 300D because I had always admired the car's clean lines and because I liked the smoothness of the diesel engine out on the open highway. Everywhere I've gone in my 300D, people have stopped me to comment on it, often saying they had owned one and regretted having sold it. They are surprised when I tell them it is a 1984 year model, because it looks almost showroom new when cleaned and waxed.

My wife and I have used our old W123 300D for road trips to Gatlinburg, TN, Branson, MO, Washington, DC, and other distant destinations with no hesitancy about its age. It has never let us down. We continue to use it for long trips and as a daily driver. We have averaged 32+ miles per gallon in normal highway driving conditions, perhaps because I drive conservatively speed-wise.

In addition to being thrifty fuel-wise, the 300D has excellent suspension and seating systems for long trips. We are not road-weary when we reach our destinations, something that cannot be said about most other cars.

Review Date: 13th October, 2010