1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 E300 Diesel 3.0 diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

The car that will take you to the moon and back

Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

I heard once a saying that this Mercedes will take you to the moon and back. Well, now I am starting to believe that, because this vehicle is as tough as nails.

Nothing ever goes wrong with this car, and it's so competent in every aspect, that I would not be afraid to go up in the air and fly this thing - go figure.

Every now and again, as I drive and notice certain cars on the road, I wonder where are they all gone? Because newer cars, they just disappear and you never see them again. And this is the legacy that this Mercedes-Benz has left us with.

It is a heavy duty unit of commercial quality, that will stand the test of time, and I will never drive anything else.

All I have to say is Thank You to Daimler-Benz, for a premium product, that has given me so much joy.

Review Date: 25th August, 2012

25th Aug 2012, 20:49

If only the post-1995 ones were like this...

5th Dec 2012, 19:16

The moon would be a short jaunt! I looked for years and found a W124 300d. It is amazing. I have been running it on 100% biodiesel for 2 years without a single problem. Nearly 50 MPG and it is free! The W124 was the last good Mercedes, and they're bullet proof.

13th Oct 2013, 04:04

Year later and I have now extended the mileage on my 300d to 273 000 kilometres.

Just a regular servicing, and every six months it gets new warrant of fitness without any issues.

Inspection guys are amazed at the condition of my Mercedes.

And after 15 000 kilometres between the services, it does not use any oil.

When it comes to the new service, the oil is still at the maximum mark level.

Well this is now an 18 year old premium machine, and after all this time it does not burn oil.

In fact it is still powerful, and on the motorway is an absolute German powerhouse.

If I wanted, it would push all the way to 200 km per hour.

Mixed city and motorway driving, and I am getting around 750-800 kilometres per tank of diesel without waiting for the amber light to come on.

Which means I could probably get up to 900 kilometres for mixed city-motorway commute.

It runs on fully synthetic Mobil1 0w-40 and drinks Ultimate diesel from BP.

I have spend 3500$ and replaced dreaded evaporator with nice brand new one, and it is nice and cool now.

All done by a Mercedes specialist workshop.

Not sorry to spend this kind of money on a special interest vehicle like this legendary W124 E 300.

1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 E420 4.2L V8 DOHC from North America

Summary:

The W124 e420 is 90% perfection

Okay, first of all, the thermostat went out at around 150K miles after I bought it. I replaced the thermostat and all the hoses, plus flushed all the coolant, and applied OEM Mercedes-Benz coolant.

AC does not work, rear right regulator went out, headliner was sagging when I purchased the car.

Some things in the rear suspension squeak a little too much; kind of embarrassing when I am pulling into my apartment's driveway.

Wiring harness was replaced by the previous owner, so I don't have to worry about that.

These w124 exterior paint tends to oxidize. It could really use a complete paint job.

Front passenger power seat does not move, replaced with one from the junkyard, and now it works like new.

Pretty much these have been the issues I've had with my W124. I LOVE IT.

General Comments:

My car is a 1995 E420, I owned a BMW 540i before this one. I have to say that I am much more comfortable in my Mercedes, this m119 V8 engine is silky smooth, with decent power, and this car flies thru the highway, and eats corners well. I can go 120MPH, and feel like I'm cutting thru the air with power and precision.

I was skeptical on buying this body style. I do not like the AC controls. The exterior has a beautiful appeal to it, it's well balanced, I do not get tired of driving it.

My car has been extremely reliable, I only do regular maintenance to my car.

Rear seats are really comfortable.

Truly a reliable car, with the top engineering possible. Small glitches, but I can say the car is 90% perfection. If you want to buy a w124, make sure it is in good condition, and BUY IT.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2011