1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 Pillarless Coupe 3.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.2 petrol Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz W124

Summary:

Lovely upmarket car, that can only appreciate in money as they get more rare

The main problem with the W124 is the throttle body - this controls the idling speed. I know several owners who have all had the same problem and it seems to occur once the mileage is fairly high. The cure is to have it cleaned, but this does not always work. The answer is either to buy a new Throttle Body or a re-con. The quote I have for the latter is about £450.

The other problem with these coupes is the fact the windows get badly scratched if not cleaned properly. There is also as a bit of wind noise around the window seals.

The only other niggle, not so much a problem is that in winter when starting from cold, the car takes time to change out of first gear, however once warm there are no problems.

General Comments:

I own a 3.2 litre E320 Coupe, seriously quick, even after 110000 plus miles it still hits the spot.

Whether peculiar to Mercs of the time, the leather seats are not that comfortable, you feel you are "sitting on them rather than fitting into them".

Review Date: 18th December, 2008

1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 E36 AMG Cabriolet 3.6 Straight Six from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 3.6 Straight Six Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz W124

Summary:

I plan to keep this car forever. ;~}

Nothing since having some work done when I first got it.

New wiring loom (common problem with later W124's)

Roof motor replaced

New A/C compressor as previous owner had had a bodge job done, which I suspect he didn't realise.

General Comments:

This is my third W124, previously E320 coupe & 300TE 7 seat diesel estate. My dream car!

Doesn't feel fast, but covers ground quickly. Don't actually know how fast it will go, and I have not desire to find out, but it overtakes effortlessly.

Very smooth and comfortable drive.

When sun out and roof down I can't think of a better place to be. A gorgeous looking, quality car.

I've heard many people say W124's feel as if they are hewn from a single block of metal. I wholeheartedly agree, even the cabriolets. How many open cars can you say that about. With the roof up you'd think you were in a tin-top. There is a bit of scuttle shake, but less than other convertibles I've driven.

I reckon I'll budget about £1,000-£2,000 per year on service and maintenance and she'll keep on running and appreciating.

Might have to get another couple of W124's (E500? / E36 Estate?) to keep the mileage down a bit.

Review Date: 9th March, 2008

15th Apr 2009, 02:57

We had 8 new cars with in 2008; A4 diesel, 2008 C class (my wife smashed with it the first 2 weeks and a few more), plus a 2007 Grand Cherokee with the Merc diesel.

I bought a e320 TE 7 seat Sports, full MB service history. After owning it for almost a year, I can say that I enjoy driving it more than any of the other cars.

My next car was going to be a BMW 3.0 CSi, but I am now looking for a W124 cabrio.

I guess the W124 bug has bitten me.

1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 E320 3.2 in-line six petrol from Taiwan

Model year1995
Engine and transmission 3.2 in-line six petrol Automatic
Most recent distance72000 miles
Previous carFord Festiva

Summary:

A classic with the heart and look of a German tank

New radiator in 2006.

General Comments:

It's a very fine long-distance car, with good ride and comfortable seats.

Review Date: 26th July, 2006

1995 Mercedes-Benz W124 E220 Cabriolet 2.2 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1995
Engine and transmission 2.2 petrol Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz C-Class

Summary:

Convertibles don't come any better than this

Passenger window had a rattle with hood down, seal replaced problem now gone no other issues.

General Comments:

This car has brilliant fit and finish they don't come any better than this bar maybe a W140 S class. The seats are fantastic the car handles like a dream and is sheer brilliant on the interstate a stately cruiser like no other. The air con works brilliant which is great considering how hot Australia gets. This car makes you feel a million dollars it is simply brilliant.

Review Date: 27th December, 2005

17th Jun 2007, 00:13

Simply, the best car I have ever owned. Superb cruiser, with lots of ambience and refinement.

30th Jul 2008, 13:23

Agree..the 300 E class 90-95 is the best car Mercedes has ever built.. have owned many, and far surpasses even the newer S class. My e320 convertible only adds to the driving experience on nice days! And faster than the SL 320 I used to own.. (at least off the mark)

9th Feb 2011, 23:00

I have a 94 SL320 with 81000 miles and a 95 320 Cabrio with 87,000 miles. Each has its own aura and distinct ride and performance personalities. I often drive them back-to-back, and enjoy the unique feel and sounds that belongs to each. They are great companion cars in that they share an obvious and easily recognizable DNA, yet have evolved in their own directions. I live close to the ocean in San Diego, and I sometimes think these beautiful cars enjoy the coast route as much as I do. Last summer early August, I got up at 2am and drove each one top down along the coast for an hour. There were virtually no cars around, and it was just me and the SL, and me and the E-Cab. Moon and ocean were sweet witnesses to a magical automotive experience. I'll never forget those two rides.

11th Jul 2011, 09:31

Hello, I am from Holland and I share your driving experience.

The E convertible; I have got two, a 220 and one 320 Convertible.

I prefer the 220 Sportline.

Lately I am looking for a SL W129 series. Can you describe the differences in driving these two?

Nobody that has never driven these cars can understand the ultimate kick.

We share!!!

Waiting for your answer, Eddie de Boer.