1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0 V8 Multiport EFI from North America

Summary:

The Most Dependable Ride on the Road

The only thing that ever went wrong with my car is the alternator failed.

General Comments:

I have had this car for a year now and its the most reliable car I have ever come across.

The only problems I have now is I have to change the oil pan that is rusting out, its only a pin hole, but it leaks a little bit of oil. The other is the bushings on the front shocks they dry rotted out, but hey whats 10 Bucks anyway.

These Cars handle very well believe me I have put it to the test and they have great performence.

My car Now has 227000 plus miles and still idles and runs like it was brand new, The transmission doesn't slip and the motor doesn't knock so was the car worth 300 Dollars.

You're Right it was.

Review Date: 12th September, 2002

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable, safe and comfortable

I have had this car for almost a year now and I have had few problems. The alternator failed on me one cold winter morning, but it was a quick cheap fix. I also had to replace the bushings in the brake calipers as they were rattling when the wheel hit bumps on the road. The starter is starting to act up now, but still works.

The engine is high mileage, but does not smoke or burn oil, and the tranny does not slip.

General Comments:

I bought this car because it was cheap, and I needed a vehicle to drive in the winter. It was in very good shape for its age and mileage, and still is today. The 302 is good on gas for a large car (I get 16 city, 25 highway) and always starts even on the coldest Canadian winter mornings.

The car has a nice ride, but a little too bouncy for my tastes. It handles surprisingly well, but does lean a lot in the corners. The brakes are strong, but tend to be grabby and lock-up easily.

The engine is powerful and smooth, but lacks torque in the hills. The transmission does not slip, but it is slow to downshift. The rear end is a posi and it works well!

The car is an excellent vehicle, and probably one of the most reliable vehicles you could buy. It is definitely not for everyone, but if a diehard GM guy can learn to love a Ford, anyone should give it a chance.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2002

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS V8 5.0 from North America

Summary:

A very good deal for the money

The car has not had any major problems; the only thing that has gone wrong with the car is that the windshield began to leak because of a bad seal. The windshield was under warranty so it was repaired soon after.

General Comments:

This is my first V8 powered car and I am happy to say that ill never go back to using a small car as my main means of transportation. What this car lacks in good looks it makes up for in pure horsepower.

Review Date: 8th April, 2002

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0L 302 EFI from North America

Summary:

Slow luxury

Transmission is pretty bad even when it was like 5 years old and my Dad had it. It shifts into 5th gear at like 25 MPH and to get it to downshft you have to put your foot all the way to the floor. When it down-shifts it goes from 5th to 1st.

Factory speakers are weak. If you turn up the volume it distorts horribly at halfway up on the dial. The factory speakers are far too thin to make good bass. The highs are good though. The 6"x9"s are a two way paper design with an untreated paper woofer and a paper dome 2" tweeter. The front speakers are 1 way 4"s. I give this system a three out of a possible ten.

General Comments:

The car is very luxurious inside. It has a leather wrapped steering wheel. It has nice cushy seats, power windows and door locks, power front seats. Mercury needs to work under the hood rather than in the cabin.

The car is nice to roll around town in, but don't try to pick up chicks in it.

Review Date: 18th April, 2001

4th May 2005, 18:07

About the speakers...16 year old factory speakers do not deliver BASS. Get some new speakers or learn how to adjust the bass and treble. oh, and BYE A TRANSMISSION!!!

21st Oct 2012, 22:38

It's 2012, but I had to reply. 5th gear? Where is that 5th gear? They only have 4 gears, not 5. Sure it needed a trans though, you probably don't have that car any more. These cars do have a weird shifting trans. It shifts too soon from 2nd to 3rd to save fuel. This car only has about 140 HP and 275 in torque. It's slow but strong to haul heavy loads or pull a trailer.

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Wagon 302 V8 from North America

Computer problems, A/C.

General Comments:

Will probably run forever. The 302 V8 has plenty of power to lug this big P.O.S. around. The car averages anywhere from 16 to 25 MPG, and burns about a quart of oil every 2000 miles, like most Ford V8's do.

Review Date: 24th July, 2000