1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5L EFI from North America

Engine and transmission 5L EFI Automatic
Most recent distance200000 kilometres
Previous carHyundai Sonata

Summary:

A reliable luxury car with a small price

I had to change one of the belts it was in bad shape, cost 27$

Fuel filter 10$

Lately the motor surges when cold.

General Comments:

I can't imagine a rolls would be any better, it is so quiet and so smooth it puts a smile on my face.

It is great car for traveling long distances, you can hardly hear the engine or the outside,wind noises is what you hear the most.

And the best part it is reliable.

Review Date: 8th January, 2004

9th Jan 2004, 22:09

The last of the full sized American V-8 rear wheel drive sedan, its the best ever made my 88 Town Car surges every once in awhile when its cold, I believe its the Throttle Position Sensor.

12th Jul 2004, 10:48

Does anyone know where the fuel filter in a 1987 or 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis is located? If so, please contact me or post it on this site. E-mail address is buggy13@stis.net

Thanks for your help.

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis 4 door sedan 5 litre from North America

Engine and transmission 5 litre Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

How fast is this thing?

I don't know of anything.

General Comments:

I just bought this car very recently and haven't yet got it on the road. It will be in a day or so. I didn't know anything about it except it was a great deal. But it sounds like I found a gold mine. I can't wait to drive it!!! Is it really fast? What cars does it beat at the lights?

Review Date: 19th August, 2003

1st Jun 2006, 14:36

There are a lot of cars that this machine will beat at lights. But, why would anyone try to race a 4200lb luxury sedan? To each his own, I guess.

1st Jun 2006, 21:58

This poor old car, I shudder to think of the abuse that the kid owner will soon be heaping on it trying to see how fast it is at the lights. I bet he has either the engine or transmission blown inside of three weeks. Any takers?

24th Nov 2006, 02:38

The only thing I beat in my ('88 ls) 5.0 efi was another 5.0 efi. go with the 5.7 of the lsc h.o. if you want to run.

10th Jan 2008, 11:16

I bought a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS, and it is the best car I have ever owned. The power that this car has is unreal, and to tell you the truth I've put a turbo, aluminum cam and crank, and this thing soars to be a sedan. So my deepest thanks goes to the Ford and the Mercury dealerships for making this car.

18th Oct 2010, 17:55

Honestly, I have a 88 Marquis that I bring to car shows. All original; exceptionally kept with 59 K miles. It has hit 98 MPH with my GPS, since the speedometer only hits 85. I would not take this car any faster, or really gun it at all. You try hauling 5400 LBS with 200 HP. It's made for cruising and taking on trips. Not a redlight burner. Unless you seriously soup up the engine, chances are you will mess it up pretty bad.

24th Oct 2010, 23:28

Honestly, for that being a show car, you know very little about it. The stock 1988 Grand Marquis weighs less than 4000 lbs. And the 302 V8 put out 150 HP/270 pounds of torque stock with the Ford 5.0 Liter 302 V8.

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 5.0L 302, 8 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0L 302, 8 cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired203000 kilometres
Previous carDodge Shadow

Summary:

An oil leaking bargain

When I bought the car there was a gas leak.

The battery froze the winter of 2002.

The altinator was not charging enough.

The rad was finished.

The oil pan has a pin hole in it (a quart of oil a day).

Just minor things.

General Comments:

This car handles Great.

No problems except having to ad oil to it 3 times a day.

Great passing gears, at any speed.

It can 0 - 60mph in 9 seconds.

Exhaust has a leak.

But runs nice.

Review Date: 25th March, 2003

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0 liter 302, Fuel injected from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.0 liter 302, Fuel injected Automatic
Previous carChrysler New Yorker

Summary:

The Perfect Car

The rear end Clunks, when it is put into any gears. At first, we thought that it was probably the U-joints, but it turns out that its some kind of bearing inside the rear end. The paint was faded badly and wouldn't shine up. The vacuum hose cracked so it had a rough idle, when it wasn't hooked up. The air conditioning didn't work when we bought it, but oh well.

General Comments:

The car is really powerful, and beats supposedly "fast" cars all the time at lights.

There's plenty of power to pass and by the time I get past the car, my car is already going about 140 Kilometers Per Hour.

This car corners way better than any large car that I've ever driven.

The car is really nice on long trips, with all of the power accessories and it's excellent ride.

The mufflers broke off, but the car is still pretty tolerable inside, so it must have a lot of sound-deadening stuff built in.

It gets great gas mileage, it was very cheap to buy, its big so all passengers are safe and comfortable.

The car starts instantly every time, even on the coldest days this year.

Any parts on it are easily replaced, if they get damaged, since there are so many of these around.

Review Date: 9th December, 2002