Want information about the 4cyl Eclipse. HERE IT IS!
Well it seems like I bought a car that had been abused in certain ways. IE: Never washed/waxed. Not garaged, mother with kids owned etc.
As of now I have driven 1000 miles. I KNOW that's NOT A lot, but the evaluation of overall on how I like the 02 Eclipse 4 cyl, Auto.
First thing I notice is car had been repainted. Mitsubishi I know for a fact that they are famous for paint wearing off early in their lives.
Makes a wheel bearing noise, and I can easily tell the front wheel is way off alignment. (probably got hit there. So in that case I don't blame the car for this).
Has rust in the coolant. Having a hard time getting rid it, despite flushing it a few times.
The engine makes a faint knocking sound at idle.
Air conditioner or heater not working properly. Blower is strong, but little cold air and heat is not strong either.
Having issues with the starter only operating half the time.
As of 1000 miles I driven. The things I comment about our 02 Eclipse GS with the 2.4L 4 cyl, and automatic with the auto stick feature.
What I like on our Eclipse are.
1) The KILLER style! Very sleek and sporty. NOT The BORING typical style 90's Toyota Corolla, Ford etc
2) Standard alloy wheels, all the extras like the sunroof, keyless entry
3) Generous amount of space in the trunk for being a sports car.
4) Maintenance & economy of a regular 4 cyl small car. It's everything like a traditional 4 cyl small car, BUT with the SPORTS car body! No premium gas or special sports car parts needed.
5) That auto stick feature. SO COOL. I use this feature when I don't want to be annoyed by transmission "hunting" gears.
The things I really DON'T like about it.
1) Not a very comfortable car at all! It's hard to get in & out! When I get in the car, it's like... I'M FALLING IN! I have 2 small kids. They fit in car well, but it's very difficult to get them in & out. It's a real pain anyway. Even as a small/medium size adult, I don't have much room to stretch. Feel REALLY cramped up. (Well that's a Sports car)
2) CRAPPY visibility on rear. I CAN'T SEE in the back AT ALL! Even the sides and front has bad visibility too.
3) NOISY car. I can hear & feel every LITTLE bump. Lots of wind noise. ADDS to the discomfort. (Well that's a sports car too!)
4) Don't like the idea that there's no key slot on passenger door.
5) Car only gives me 22 mpg. And the performance is NOT anything like a "sports car". The Eclipse may NOT be boring looking like a Corolla BUT the performance SURE IS the same as a typical 4 cyl Toyota Corolla or For Escort etc.
So all in all. Because of the very sporty looks. I think it's overall decently fun to own. Cause it's different from what all my family have! I feel this car is great for taking a little cruise around town, between just me & my wife, going to In & Out burger drive thru. It's fun to do that type of thing using the Eclipse! But THAT'S ALL though.
But it's having quality issues. The main one I have is the starter. It operates only half the time. It always gives me the "click". Annoying when I have to keep "clicking" until it works. I looked at the battery cable. The neg terminal is a little loose and has corrosion where cable touches the chassis of car (not at battery). I guess that's all it is. Then the rust in the coolant. I do hear that knocking noise, but it goes away when I'm above idle. All this at 75000.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Don't Know
Review Date: 28th October, 2009