1999 Mitsubishi Galant Super Saloon 2.0 DOHC from Philippines

Summary:

It was a reliable and good looking car back in its day

Updated in August 2012.

September 2003 - The horn of the car acted up while the car was in heavy traffic. It became a nuisance, because people thought we were honking and honking.

December 2003 - The CD player of the original stereo did not work any more.

July 2005 - The car experienced overheating problems. After rectifying the problem, the car had a problem with the engine mount. It was one of the worst problems we experienced with this car.

April 2006 - While we were on a trip abroad, our driver called us to inform that the car couldn't start. When we came back in June, we found out that the reason of the problem was the alternator. We had it towed and it was fixed within 2 weeks.

July 2006 - The windshield washer did not work any more.

December 2006 - The antenna of the car was broken allegedly by 2 security guards in the parking lot of Glorietta 4 (a popular shopping mall in the commercial and financial area of Makati, Metro Manila). From then on, we could only play FM and the AM band was not that clear.

Two days later, in the middle of Metro Manila's heavy Christmas traffic, the car stalled due to the alternator again! Although the problem wasn't that serious as the one that happened in April 2006, the car was towed and it was fixed within 2 days.

June 2007 - The car had problems with its alignment. The car kept on veering to the right. Wasn't that serious though.

August 2007 - The left rear window did not work any more.

July 2008 - Electrical problems. When we came home from school after shutting off the car, the lights did not go out. It was left to die and the car could not run any more. Although we were able to fix it within a week.

January 2009 - The car experienced problems with braking and its power steering, and was forced to stay in the shop for 3 weeks.

February 2009 - The car was making a weird sound whenever it was making a turn. We were able to rectify it within 2 days in a gas station.

March 2009 - The front right signal light went bust.

March 2010 - The original radio by Clarion did not work any more. We replaced it with a brand new Pioneer in July of 2010. Last June of 2012, we replaced it with a Kenwood from our Toyota Camry 2004 model, because were about to sell this car. That Pioneer radio is in our Camry now.

Alternator problems again (3rd time), but it was fixed within 4 days.

October 2010 - Alternator problems again (4th time), coupled with problems with the ignition. Fixed within 4 days.

June 2011 - Alternator problems again (5th time). The car was not in use for more than a month.

September 2011 - Slipping transmission. The car was towed to the repair shop for the 3rd time, and was there in the shop for a week.

November 2011 - Aircon started to breath warm air, but this only happens in hot weather.

March 2012 - Front right window did not work any more.

April 2012 - After being parked in our garage for more than 3 weeks, the car makes a very loud noise after a cold start. We had the belt replaced, but after that, the car still makes a squeaking noise after a cold start.

General Comments:

Despite the problems it faced over the years, we still consider this car was reliable and good looking one. However we are about to sell this car because of its old age, and the car is already a bit dilapidated. In recent years, the car has seen limited use because of our newer cars like our 2004 model Toyota Camry. Currently, the car is just in our garage and hasn't been in use for more than a month.

Its 2.0 engine is just right for the car. This car is a very fast and efficient one. It had the ability to overtake other slowpokes, who drove much newer and flashier cars.

It also has wood-trim, which adds to the luxurious feel of the car. Although the car came only with a cloth interior. This is our first car equipped with an automatic transmission.

The comfort of this car is so-so. The front part is fine, but the back does not have ample legroom considering that we are all tall in the family. Our 2004 Camry has much better comfort.

This car was bought from one of the distributors of Mitsubishi in the Philippines. Whenever we had problems with the car, we would take it to them, but they do their job poorly. From then on, we would take it Citimotors or most of the time, to our reliable and trusty mechanic.

Well, this had survived few mild incidents of road rage. This car was never submerged in any flood especially of Ondoy (well our other cars were never submerged too).

I'm happy to say that we had plenty of good memories with this car. This is the car where I learned how to drive back in 2009. Aside from being a daily workhorse going to work, school (Colegio San Agustin Makati, and later on the University of Santo Tomas), and the mall, we also took this car to plenty of special occasions like birthday parties, dinner dates, weddings (February 2003 and September 2006). My Junior Prom where I picked up my date in Bicutan, Paranaque and went to the venue in a hotel in Makati. I also took this car to an 18th birthday party of a block mate somewhere near Broadway in Quezon City (November 2011). This car also carried a whole lechon (roast suckling pig) on two special occasions (January 2004 and July 2008).

Currently no one has used this car for more than a month. This car has obviously seen better days. We're about to sell this car and replace it with a brand new model (most probably a Toyota Altis 2.0V or a Toyota Camry 2.5V). We will definitely miss this car when it's already time to take this car to the used car dealer. I hope the next owner will put this car to good use, and restore this car back to its former glory.

Review Date: 29th November, 2009

30th Nov 2009, 12:35

You're talking about a 10-year old car which still looks contemporary. It will have problems, like any car.

The type of aftermarket audio fitted, the guards breaking the radio aerial, the accidents and your bad memories are not the fault of the car.

30th Nov 2009, 15:06

I'm almost your exact age, but I live in the U.S. and I own a '95 Neon. It's got 5 years on your Mitsu. I personally don't care about standing out so much. I'm just gonna make this thing a sleeper, focusing almost all my attention on performance mods. It'll be funnier that way when some guy pulls up at the stop light to my little old car, and then drops his jaw when it screams away from the light.

1999 Mitsubishi Galant ES 3.0 V6 from North America

General Comments:

I purchased a 99 Galant in 2000 with 16000 miles. I've got to say it's a great car.

The only problem is just the brakes. They warp under high speed braking.

However good leather and interior.

I will buy another Galant.

Hope you guys maintain a vehicle. I've got 314k on my car; same tranny and engine, 3.0 V6s still going strong.

Review Date: 15th September, 2009