1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews - Page 3 of 3

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Most recent distance42000 kilometres
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Mitsubishi Philippines should do a better job

Knocking sound from the front fender.

Squeaking/rattling from the front shock absorbers.

Busted A/C light.

Squeaking sound from the rear split type seats.

Left turning tendency.

General Comments:

Very poor workmanship. Bad dealer service. All mentioned problems were encountered even before the 5,000 kilometer check-up. After the initial check-up the dealer was unable to solve the problems and charged me for doing doing nothing to the car.

Performance wise this car needs bigger brakes, a bigger engine, and a bigger rear spoiler.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2001

16th Jan 2006, 01:34

That is not right... i have here my Gsr for 7 years now.. but I have not encountered those problems. maybe you are a reckless driver.

14th Sep 2011, 15:23

I agree with all the other comments here... My Lancer is comfortable, reliable and cheap to run (I get 6.5l/100km for my 1.8l car). Bought with 72K on the clock, it now has 118K on the clock and I have yet to change brake pads, or tyres since I bought it 2 years ago. It has not missed a beat. Now I don't drive around like I'm driving Miss Daisy, but I guess the original reviewer doesn't know how to drive it correctly?

1998 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 1.3 petrol Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Lancer

Summary:

Reliable, but not exciting, very poor resale value

Nothing - this is a very reliable car.

General Comments:

The bonnet suffers very badly from stone chips - more so than any other car I have had. Some of the stone chips are starting to rust even though the car has an 8 year corrosion warranty.

Some exterior joints around rear light cluster are rusting. Returned car to Mitsubishi who repaired the affected areas, but 3 months later the rust was back.

I have never seen a car like it use brake pads - 7k miles per set if lucky.

Review Date: 9th March, 2001

17th Jan 2002, 20:49

This so called review is so ridiculous, it is almost humorous. My experience with the 1997 Mitsubishi Lancer has been completely contrary to this biased review. This car has been very reliable and economical to me, that I would certainly purchase another Mitsubishi without question.

19th Nov 2002, 20:56

In my opinion, the review is not accurate. I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer GLX (A) bought in the year 2000. It was great; reliable, smooth and relatively easy to maintain. I ever drove a Honda Accord 2.3 before and seriously, the Lancer is better in terms of handling then the Accord. No doubt the Accord is a faster car, but to me, handling is more important then speed. The writer of this review should try driving other cars; make a thorough assessment and comparison before reviewing.

3rd Dec 2003, 10:05

HI.

I have Mitsubishi OZ rally Edition car and from my experience it is a great car, very economical, stylish and far superior than Honda or Toyota cars in same category.

I completely disagree with "experts" comments here, s/he needs too look into other cars before expressing his biased approach.

My next car will be Mitsubishi Montero.

Thanks.

9th Mar 2006, 20:02

My 1999 CE Lancer GLXi wagon (Estate for you British!) which I have reviewed on this site has still got the original brake pads after 84,000 KM, and has only had two tyres replaced. It is due for tyres now though.

It is surprising to hear that a smaller car would wear brake pads out so quickly.

1998 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX Deluxe 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland