2000 Mitsubishi Lancer GLI 1.5 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Cute

General Comments:

The CE Lancer GLI 1.5 is a great little car, because it's reliable, cheap to run, cute, and it's a great performer if you keep the K's down!

Review Date: 6th June, 2014

2000 Mitsubishi Lancer GL 2.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great little work horse of a car

Nothing.

General Comments:

I initially bought this car from a friend for my daughter as a learn to drive vehicle, and I've also been using it myself to save me from using my German sports car for that daily commute, leaving me to enjoy weekend drives.

This little car is fantastic; very reliable and cheap to maintain. It has taken all the abuse from a learner driver with no problem.

In fact I was so happy when it came time to replace my wife's Corolla, that we bought a new Lancer.

The car is very simple in engine design, which I guess is what makes it so reliable. Not powerful, but more than adequate for commuting or even for a motorway drive. I often go for 300km return drives without any problem.

The gearbox has a good positive and easy shift, although the synchromesh is worn due to age.

Interior is fairly spacious for a car in this class, and the Nipodenso air conditioning works great also.

The Japanese build quality of these models is great. The handling is also good.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2013

2000 Mitsubishi Lancer CE 1.5 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A great little car that will save you your hard earned cash

So far the car has been excellent with no problems.

One time I did take it in for a service, and as part of that service they checked the computer for any error codes, and apparently there was a couple of errors, but the mechanic said it was nothing to worry about.

No lights have ever showed up on the dash to indicate any problems, and I would have no hesitation in driving it anywhere.

General Comments:

My Lancer coupe has been a great car.

The styling is aging just a little, but still looks good.

The interior has good room, not a bad car for a young family but fit 5 adults in and it soon becomes too much (quite a squeeze).

The equipment level is good on this car with CD player, cold air-conditioning, trip computer, tacho, etc.

Fuel economy is great, the tank capacity I believe is 50 litres, and typically with a bit of city driving and highway use I get 500-600+ kms a tank, varying of course with conditions. ie just highway kms, traffic etc.

Generally with this car it is built with reliability and economy in mind, and so the 1.5 litre engine is not very exciting, adequate would be more the word.

There's a couple of dead spots on acceleration around 2000rpm and seems to be common on Lancers I'm lead to believe, due to Mitsubishi's economy tuning.

On the road the car sits well and is comfortable, handles quite well, even when pushed a little hard.

The cabin can be a little noisy at highway speed but still acceptable for most people.

This car would be better if it had just little more power.

Review Date: 28th June, 2008

2000 Mitsubishi Lancer GLi 1.8 Litre - Single Over Head Cam - Multipoint from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Beautiful little car with thought put into most things

I would like to say that I'm very pleased with my car at the moment, although there is some rust in the front of the car. The rust is on the East West support strut near the front toe point (under the bumper), usually this is where one bumps the car when driving out of steep drive ways.

Other than this I'm very pleased.

General Comments:

I’m a very tall person, and the Driver’s seat just doesn’t go back far enough. I’ve noticed since owning this car, that my right hip, is starting to hurt because I’m force to sit closer to the driver’s wheel then I would normally like too.

Performance. Although the fuel tank is a 50 litre one, when the Fuel gauge gets to E (for empty) It will only accept another 30 Litres (plus or minus) to make it full again. I’ve been told that it is fitted with fuel light which tells you there is only 10 litres left, I have never seen this and I wouldn’t want to let my car run on the empty tank.

Usually because I’m a lead footed, I get around 8 litres per 100km. Add to this its an Automatic and I suppose its OK. Between fill ups I get around 350 Km on 24 litres. The number I saw on the Mitsubishi website are COMPLETELY wrong for me, I have never been able to achieve 6.5 litres on a high way drive. Neighbours of ours, Own the exacted same model and everything, and they have told me, they were able to drive 1000Km between Sydney and Melbourne (Australia) with no attempt to save fuel. When they went to fill up again in Melbourne, It would only take around 45 litre of fuel, making it around 5 Litres per 100 Km.

Servicing. I’ve always kept this car in GREAT working order. It has a scheduled service every 15000 Km (or every May of each year) and most things are checked or replaced. The only thing I don’t like about the service is that the Automatic Transitions Fluid is not replaced each service as a matter of course. Instead this is a requested extra service, making me pay more money on top of the basic charge.  Although I believe everything in the car should be replace more frequently then it says in the servicing book, when I ask the people at Mitsubishi “Can you change all the engine fluids and filters? (eg. Power Steering fluid, Automatic Transmission fluid, Engine oil, Brake fluid, Air fliter, Fuel filter and Oil filters.)” the immediate response is “why” and my natural inclination is, “because it is MY car”

Handling. I love this car’s handling. The power steering just makes a world of difference. To turn into a street that is 90 degrees from the car, simply turn the wheel ¼ of a full turn. When Traveling at 130 Km/H as one does here is Australia, You can Hardly hear the engine reminding you its there. It has no real road noise, You cant hear the tires, engine or transmission beating away. Wind noise is something that must be tackled. I’m not sure what it might be, but travelling at the mentioned speeds, I can hear a quiet weaseling noise coming from the driver’s door just near the Radio antenna. I think it could be the door seals catching the air or something similar. What I’m really driving at, is that you can still have that conversation with your pet mouse if you wished because you would still be able to hear his quiet squeaks.

Climate Control. The people at Mitsubishi (Japan) have really worked this one out. The Climate controls are well set out even when you can’t look at them because you should be driving, you should be able to figure what you’re pressing. First, where the air comes out. This is something that I don’t usually change on my travels and so logically, it is placed further away from the driver on the passenger’s side. The fan is conveniently in the centre. Next to that, the air conditioning and rear window demist switches. These are something that I don’t usually change, once I set the fan speed to one it stays there, meanwhile the air conditioning is always on no matter the out side temperature. The most used control, the temperature dial is right there, right next to the steering wheel which is very handy for me. Plus below all of these is the recycle and fresh air slider, with me, it stays on Recycle.

Sound. When I brought this car, EVERYTHING was stock. Nothing had been changed or been upgraded for anything aftermarket and this includes the sound system. It has a single in dash Clarion CD player with 45 Watts per speaker. There are four speakers. Which I’m quiet fond of, and which makes some of my friends very envious. Simple to use controls, like big round button for volume and a longer push button for track up and down. Simple really when you are trying to find it when driving.

Mitsubishi genuine parts (after sales). Seeing as I’ve brought this car stock and it had nothing added to it, I found when I wanted to put Mitsubishi driving lights on the car, they were $500 for the pair and that’s not including the switch that is needed, the relays or any extra wiring. I also had this trouble when I wanted a Spoiler, Mitsubishi said that it would be $700 Unpainted and not fitted. Well I fixed them; I went down to the local wreckers and brought the lights and spoiler for only $200. Although I did get a friend to fit and paint the spoiler for $50.

Review Date: 1st June, 2003

5th Dec 2009, 01:28

Hi there.

It seems your very pleased with the performance of your Lancer. I just have one question. I was wondering if you've ever driven the car over a long distance like 800km +. And if you have, how many litres of petrol you used over the course of 100km. I plan on making a 800km+ trip, but unsure how much petrol my Lancer will consume over the course of the trip. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.