1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

Great car up until now - hope we can save it

Head gasket blew at 160,000 miles.

Seat belt latches had to be replaced.

General Comments:

Great family car! Bought it new in '91 - our first SUV. It's been 4-wheeling in the mountains above Boise, ID.

It was the first car my first son ever rode in as a baby, and now it's his car. I had the engine rebuilt and fresh paint put on it for his 16th birthday 2 years ago. However, now, 2 years later it's having some problems. It has no power from a stopped position - seems like it just can't get any rpm's... in fact the rpm's go so low the engine nearly dies, but doesn't. I have it in a shop, but they can't figure it out. Not a plug, not wires, replaced all those plus cap and rotor. Replaced throttle positioning sensor and coil. Still does the same thing. Could it be the injector?? Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks!

Review Date: 21st July, 2010

10th Mar 2014, 09:20

Check the catalytic converter; it might be plugged.

1991 Mitsubishi Montero 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Excellent on/off road vehicle

I've taken very good care of my Montero. Bought it new. Always used full synthetic oil.

At 268,000 miles I am now experiencing low idle and low oil pressure. I think I need a new oil pump, but not sure if I should bother on a motor that has this many miles on it. I've driven it hard, but have taken good care of it. Little things are going out, electric window, door handles, that kind of stuff.

What is the best advice to keep this car on the road, or is it a cash for clunkers now? Can I replace the oil pump without having to overhaul the entire motor? Are new motors available?

Review Date: 11th September, 2009

11th Sep 2009, 18:30

It's not a Cash for Clunkers. That deals over. I'd fix it. You've got a real gem.

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0L 12-valve from Philippines

Summary:

Very reliable!

The engine misfired & needed to change the OE spark plug cables to Magnecor brand. The ISC Stepper Motor had to be changed to regulate Idle Speed. Yearly check the ECU (computer box) for any faults or trouble codes.

General Comments:

This old school SUV is built like a rock. Just service it regularly with a good parts (OE or a good brand after-market parts), it will always run & get you there with no problem.

Review Date: 17th December, 2008

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0 gas from Philippines

Summary:

I think it is reliable car

After under wash with pressurize water, check engine red light did not disappear.

Is this a big problem or just a minor problem?

I suspect electrical wirings are wet does having " check engine" warning light appearing on the panel board because of recent under washing activities.

General Comments:

I only have this car last November, but I think this car is reliable.

Is anybody who owns '91 LS Montero can give copy of parts manual?

Review Date: 1st December, 2004

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS 3.0 LS from Philippines

Summary:

So far so good!

Voltage reading is below 12 and reduce significantly when idle.

Odometer is not working.

No available Repair Manual.

Defective driver side power window.

General Comments:

I have acquired recently '91Montero LS as 3rd owner.

I am comfortable driving this car, but I like extra seats at the baggage area to maximize the space.

This car is reliable in terms of safety and performance except that maintenance is too expensive here in the Philippines.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2004

1991 Mitsubishi Montero LS V6 from North America

Summary:

A beautiful car with lovely accommodations

Replaced a fog lamp. It was cracked and had rusted.

Fixed tear in leather seat.

Antifreeze leak.

General Comments:

This is a beautiful luxury SUV with all the accommodations one could ask for.

I absolutely love all the extra features on my car (Voltmeter, oil pressure meter, limited slip differential, etc.).

There is plenty of cargo space, but I wish there were an extra row of seats too.

I love the huge windows. They allow you to really enjoy the scenery as you drive.

Sitting high off the road also gives you the confidence to tackle any obstacle.

If your looking for high class off road ability and luxury, the Montero LS is it.

Review Date: 11th July, 2003