2002 Nissan Almera Commercial 1.5 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Ultra-reliable, but lacking excitement and expensive to run

Electric windows very 'sticky' during operation.

General Comments:

I wanted a reliable car after owning a poorly maintained Opel Combo for some months. It needed to be commercial as well, so I bought an Almera car-van.

It was immaculate with very little to complain about. The only obvious thing was that the electric windows were slow to operate and sometimes would not open beyond 50% of travel.

From a driving-perspective it was as bland as you get. It had enough poke to keep up with daily traffic on the motorway, but there was very little to get excited about.

It was ultra reliable for the short time I owned it. I eventually had to move it on due to never receiving the tax book from the previous owner. I didn't fret too much however as it wasn't exactly easy on the pocket.

Because it is 1498cc, it falls into a higher category of insurance here in Ireland in comparison to rivals such as the VW Golf and Opel Astra. Neither is it particularly economical. I got very little for €10, sometimes as little as 40 miles! Though maybe my familiarity with diesel cars up to that point had skewed my MPG expectations a little.

Review Date: 13th October, 2014

2002 Nissan Almera E 1.5 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A great drive for the car it is, and the economical and comfort plus points speak for themselves

Nothing, so far so good.

General Comments:

I decided to purchase a Japanese car for the first time following comments about their "reliability". After looking around, I opted to go for a "used" Nissan Almera 1.5E, 3-Door. "51" reg.

The drivability and comfort factors are great. 40-50 mpg also make it economical, along with the cheap insurance and tax.

Its 1.5 engine is swift enough to get you out of trouble, and it's soooooo quiet. You could hear a pin drop when at standstill!

The gear change is effortless too. I've driven Corsa's as well as Peugeot's which are similar in design, but this is a far better drive. You feel safe on those bends in the rain, and it's wonderful on the motorway. Okay, its not the most exciting looking Car in the World, but neither are Corsa's etc..

The interior is also highly impressive; nice full and wide dashboard, with a nice modern look, as well as hugely comfortable seating. There's great vision out the front and rear windows, and the boot space is also generous for a 3-door hatchback.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the comfortable and responsive suspension when tackling the numerous "speed bumps" and "pot holes" that plague our inner city roads!

To summarise, it's a great drive for the car it is, and the comfort and economical factors speak for themselves. If you're looking for a "used" car, give the Almera a look and a test drive yourself. I'm a happy owner of one, that's for sure!

Review Date: 25th July, 2007

2002 Nissan Almera Sport 1.8 DOHC 16v from Mexico

Summary:

A real Hot Hatch

The car has been a real good car, except from some rattles in the interior like the passenger seat, some rattles near the glove box, and that annoying airbag light that keeps flashing since I bought it.

General Comments:

The car is fast and comfortable. Since it's the sport version, it's got all the amenities from a more expensive car like 4 airbags, 4 disc brakes, active headrests, front and rear fog lamps, adjustable front lights, etc, etc.

I've had like 4 hatchbacks in my whole life, and this one is the first where the trunk door doesn't rattle at all.

Review Date: 13th April, 2007

2002 Nissan Almera 1;5 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It has cost us a lot of money feel let down and upset

Gear box went at 25000 miles cost over 1000 to put right could not give price, but would have been based on used gear box new one much more.

Changed brakes week ago.

General Comments:

Paid 6000 18 monthes now value 2600 this car was very well looked after by my husband just passed mot.

Get another car today worth 4500 but had to pay 2000 more.

Review Date: 12th December, 2006

23rd Feb 2012, 12:51

Exact same thing happened to mine; got it replaced, and 10000 miles later, the gearbox went again. They apparently always give trouble. It's a design flaw.

25th Feb 2012, 21:16

Brakes are a normal wear and tear item, regardless of what vehicle you drive.