2001 Nissan Altima from North America

Summary:

Very reliable, but kind of ugly

Bumper falling off.

Rough idle.

General Comments:

The 2001 Nissan Altima has been a very reliable car. Since I purchased it, I have only performed general maintenance (spark plugs, oil change, etc.) and it still runs great.

The A/C is ice cold. I rented a 2011 SUV for a trip recently, and the A/C was horrible compared to my Altima. It reminded me to be grateful for my A/C. I only mention this because it's been in the 100s lately, and I still have no problems.

Some negatives are that it's not the most comfortable or smooth car on the highway, but it's not horrible either.

One really annoying thing aesthetically is the bumper. If you drive around town and look at any 2001 Nissan Altima, you will notice a lot of bumpers falling off. It seems like mine is literally hanging on by a thread, and you really can't get anyone to fix it unless you want to spend way too much money. Still, I'd rather have a bumper falling off than a bad engine.

Review Date: 12th July, 2011

2001 Nissan Altima Limited Edition GXE from North America

Summary:

Runs like a champ

When I first got the car, the dealer said they would fix the pop down sunglass holder... that was never fixed. I stopped taking my car to the dealership, because they charged me too much, and when I got home, I would check under the hood, and my oil stick, transmission stick and some caps would be loose, or not pushed down all the way.

After 90,000 miles, my exhaust started making this awful noise while I had my foot on the brake, but only in park, reverse and neutral. If I want the noise to stop, I have to keep the car in drive and hold the brake.

The hubcaps squeaked, so I took them off. I had enough of the squeaking and could not roll my passenger side window up from the driver's side. So if I was alone, I was pretty much annoyed with the noise. I replaced the master switch after my driver's side window got stuck down. A few months later, after replacing this switch, my passenger window stopped rolling down or up from the driver's side, but still rolls down from the passenger side. Also, I have noticed that there is a lot of wind noise while driving on the highway.

There is some body damage, and I have fixed that with screws, because the front bumper was hanging off at one point. The lights, some fuses and brakes have all been replaced numerous times.

Lastly, at 110,000 miles my service engine soon light has come on, but the car runs great. I took the car to my mechanic, and it turns out that the awful noise my exhaust makes is finally being recognized as a problem.

General Comments:

I love this car. The ride is great besides the wind noise and the minor glitches I have encountered, but after 110,000 miles, it still runs like the first day I got the car.

Review Date: 18th January, 2011

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Major design flaw

Failure of the intake manifold gasket caused a rough idle and caused the check engine light to illuminate. The dealer charged $1175 to repair.

General Comments:

The failure of the intake manifold gasket issue is very common in pre-2002 Nissan Altima. But Nissan has refused to admit their design flaw. A class action law suit is pending.

Review Date: 29th September, 2009

23rd Jan 2013, 11:01

Yes, my 2001 Altima has the intake manifold leak, and it has had the engine light on for two years, with multiple visits to figure it out at the shop. They finally told me they can't fix it at this shop, and it is worse and dies a lot now.

Also my car has made this terrible squeaking noise while driving, and the hubcaps squeaked too, which I removed.

When will Nissan admit to the manifold gasket leak?