2004 Nissan Maxima SE 3.5 from North America
Turned off Nissan Maxima
1. Auto transmission knocks and has jerks. Cost:???
2. Factory installed Goodyear tires wore out unevenly with just 30,000 kms, even after swapping all season and winter tires every 6 months. Cost to replace: $1,000. I had already replaced the tires when Nissan sent a recall. They would not honor replacement or even half the cost, although the spare Goodyear tire ID is listed in their recall.
3. Plastic wheel wells keep cracking. Replaced 2 times already.
4. Battery died in just three years. Replaced for $200.
5. Wiper motors died in just three years. Replaced at an auto shop as the dealer was too busy to fix and did not have parts.
6. A lot of shudder in steering.
7. Bose speakers on driver side crackles occasionally with not much sound. Dealer says $1000 to fix. Scarier stories of refurbished Bose systems, so did not replace.
8. Heat shields caused a lot of rattling - removed.
9. Panels of doors and hood keep popping out.
10. Door linings keep popping out.
11. Too much drift on corners.
12. Glove compartment panel does not fit the mold.
13. Little change compartment got stuck on hinges. Dealer said $500 to fix / replace as it was integrated into the front dashboard. Popped it out myself and fixed it with some WD-40.
14. Leather knob of gear shift came off. It's loose. I guess it's a automatic stick shift.
15. Got a surprise when picking up change from front mats. Wires are just hanging loose. Weird!!
16. Rear view mirror is noisy. Sounds like an electric current.
17. Replaced brakes and brake rotors twice after having them polished. This was for shudder which I still get (or shimmy).
- Recall on heating under seats for fire hazard
- Recall on moonroof, but not replaced thankfully
- Recall on Goodyear tires but not compensated by Nissan or Goodyear.
I like the Maxima as it's quite powerful, stylish and sporty. However this being my third Nissan, I am very disappointed about the quality. After this, sadly I will never buy Nissan again, having owned two Nissan's prior to this.
I am very surprised so many people have complained about the transmission. Mine just happened last week at 101,000. It's the same story. Changing gears results in a jerk with very slow acceleration. It's gone to the dealer for a transmission flush.
I did call Nissan to file a complaint. Nissan Canada says there is no recall as Nissan DOES NOT see this as a safety issue. They or Nissan USA also claim they DO NOT have any record of other Maximas having the same problem.
I am willing to join a class action. This is just terrible quality.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 28th April, 2008
Count me in.
Me too. This car makes me car sick because of the gear shifting problems in the automatic transmission. It is great on the highway, but is terrible for city driving. Does a transmission flush work? Does the gear shift box need replacing? I have had this car since February 2008...