1999 Nissan Micra SE 1.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Ideal beginner's car

Interior wore a little early, and new brakes pads.

General Comments:

Was my first car, and a good honest little car it was as well. To drive it was nothing special, but the 1.0 engine gave decent economy as to be expected, but pulling out onto motorway slip roads and getting up to speed took some nerves! Managed 70mph eventually though.

A car I learned to drive in and went on to be my car for the next year or so, the only complaint was the brakes wore out a little earlier than I expected, and the interior already had the shine of an older car pretty soon. The interior was dull and full of grey plastic, but was all functional at least, and comfortable for what it was.

In conclusion, a reliable beginner's car and very 90s bubble shape I believe to be the last of its type before a major makeover, which was even more "cute" if you could call it that. Would I buy another Nissan? Yes - they make great reliable cars, from this Micra to the Skyline. Would I buy another Micra? Of course not - I've since spoiled myself with sports cars and bigger executive saloons over the years, but looking back I have to give credit where credit is due - it was the ideal car to learn the basics of motoring in, and from what I remember, was a very popular car in the UK for driving schools at the time.

Review Date: 1st September, 2016

1999 Nissan Micra GX 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A perfect car that does the job from A to B. Road humps are not good for small cars

This Micra 1999 GX was the most reliable car, as with other Micras from 1990s to early 2003.

A good car, never had any problems apart from normal wear and tear etc... but on road humps and bumps, the car feels uncomfortable; as with other small hatchbacks, this is common.

The reason I got rid of it because it was too old and was showing signs of rusts.

General Comments:

Fantastic car. Apart from potholes, broken roads, road bumps, humps etc... especially those humps in Asda carpark and most supermarket car parks are the worse humps ever. You have to drive very, very slow. I hate humps, especially with small cars.

Review Date: 15th August, 2016

1999 Nissan Micra from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very reliable nice car, but severe rust problem

Lovely little car, very reliable; it never gave us any trouble at all. We had it for 3 years and my wife was very happy with it until it went in for its M.O.T. in June 2007, and it failed for 'severe corrosion within 30cm of a mounting point'. The garage that carried out the M.O.T. advised us that the car was 'uneconomical to repair'. My wife was gutted; her pride and joy was rotten right around the front to the extent that the radiator and the plate beside it were not attached at the bottom. There simply was nothing there!!!

General Comments:

This amount of rust on a 7 year old car is not acceptable.

It is a very reliable little car, but that is little use if it rots away.

Review Date: 5th July, 2007

2nd Sep 2016, 22:12

I still enjoy my 1999 Micra. It looks like total hell with sun faded red paint, very rusty door bottoms and wheel arches. I have welded the floor pan myself last MOT. I simply bought a used door for ten pounds and used that metal.

It now has 210,000 miles. My only expenses are tyres, brakes, and oil and spark plugs.

I see no sense in wasting good beer money on a car.

3rd Sep 2016, 10:10

Fair comment mate :) Yes these are capable little cars, but honestly if you liked the Micra you should try a Primera or something next, a 90s or early 2000 model with at least a 1.8 or 2.0 engine. The step upwards of comfort and refinement is well worth the slightly greater cost of a larger car.

9th Sep 2016, 20:21

I am a total cheapskate. I prefer budget motoring.