1999 Nissan Micra Equation 1.0 from UK and Ireland

A good car let down by its gearbox

The automatic gearbox failed at 53,000 miles. It cost £1900 to repair. That was almost half the cars value!

The garage said the gearbox on small cars don't last more than 50,000 miles, so I got rid of mine long before it approached 100,000. I bought a manual one.

General Comments:

Aside from transmission problems, the car was very easy to drive and quite cheap to run.

Review Date: 15th September, 2003

27th Sep 2003, 00:04

My Nissan. 1996 K11/. Now has 220,000 km's Since I purchased it new. It has the 1.3 litre engine.

In Australia it would have cost an additional $1,500 for the CVT transmission (which I did not want anyway). I have have found the manual box to be excellent.

The syncro's are now getting a bit tired and it will occasionally baulk on a fast change, but by and large still very smooth.

1999 Nissan Micra Si 1.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

The ECU failed and left the car stranded at 2000 miles. The radio code was not supplied and the car spent a day off the road to sort this out. It has been constantly returned to the dealer for poor fuel consumption (worst 28mpg, best 34mpg)which remains unsorted after 6 months use.

General Comments:

Rather lack-lustre performance - but then it's only 1.0 litre. The road holding is poor for a modern car being rather 'nervous' and prone to understeer. The petrol consumption is AWFUL for a car of this size and the dealer seems uninterested after having made the sale.

Review Date: 19th January, 2000

13th Aug 2002, 15:54

We unfortunately owned a Nissan Micra once, it was a complete LEMON it was obviously built on either a Monday or a Friday.

The car had suffered from a whole host of problems -oil leaks, clutch faults, and faulty suspension, my local dealer knew me by first name terms, I have never been so glad to get rid of a car, even though it cost me dearly.

Myself and a friend who owned a Micra also found the fuel economy rather poor.