1994 Nissan Pathfinder Reviews

1994 Nissan Pathfinder D21 3.0 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carToyota Landcruiser

Summary:

Heavy

Cracked manifolds cracked twice.

Done upper and lower ball joints 3 times.

Rear main seal leaking.

Replaced starter last month.

Gas tanks leaks at factory dimple.

Lost 3 of the 4 bumpstops.

Centre steering link replaced.

Factory hubs failed off highway (put on worn).

No reverse as of today!

General Comments:

Pretty competent stock truck off road (big wheel package: LSD diff and 31" tires).

Review Date: 9th February, 2010

1994 Nissan Pathfinder LE-V6 3.0 Litre from North America

First year of ownership1994
Engine and transmission 3.0 Litre Automatic

Summary:

Excellent to ride around town, off road, or travel in

When I open my sunroof, it sometimes leaks.

The digital display on the FM/AM radio no longer works.

The speakers are cracked and worn out.

The trim on the doors and steering wheel are falling apart.

General Comments:

It is an EXCELLENT car to own and operate.

The interior is very spacious, luxurious, and comfortable.

Rides very smooth for an SUV.

Exceptional suspension (independent front axle and a short-arm dependent axle in the rear)

Takes bumps, potholes, dips, and off- roads with ease.

Review Date: 30th April, 2009

1994 Nissan Pathfinder LE 3.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

I would drive it until doomsday if I could

The front lower control arm snapped off at the frame mount, it's a cheap and easy fix if you can find one in a junk yard.

The sending unit had to be replaced shortly after purchase due to rust. Also fairly cheap and easy to fix thanks to a junk yard.

The thin metal on the body will rust extremely fast if you live in a state where the roads are salted most of the year.

Not the best on fuel, but not the worst either.

General Comments:

I absolutely love my Pathfinder. It is built very solid and is extremely reliable. The 4 wheel drive is exceptional. There is almost nothing this thing can't drive through or over.

The the 3.0 V6 does lack acceleration and getting on an expressway can be a pain to get up to speed. This is NOT a fast vehicle.

The power at the wheels, especially for off-road use does exceptionally well, getting through almost every mud-hole I took it through.

The suspension set up is very unique as well. With independent front and 4 link rear, it rides very smooth on and off road.

The handling is great, the narrower track makes it very nimble.

Interior room is very nice as well, with ample room in the front and back. The reclining rear seats with armrests are nice for passengers.

Review Date: 13th March, 2008

1994 Nissan Pathfinder XE V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission V6 Manual
Previous carNissan Pulsar

Summary:

Solid and built for the long haul

I have had to replace the alternator on the truck three times, including twice in a two year span.

I had the timing belt replaced when I acquired the vehicle at 150K miles. At 238K miles, the water pump went out. I had planned on replacing the water pump when I had the timing belt replaced at 250K miles.

Paint finish on the hood has faded badly even though I am in temperate climate (Georgia) and the rest of the vehicle looks almost new.

V6 is slightly underpowered. On the highway I tend to gravitate to the speed that vehicle feels comfortable doing. I don't push it, but settle into that speed.

General Comments:

Pathfinder is very reliable overall.

The model I have is 2WD and manual, I average 21-23 mpg commuting to work in the Atlanta metro area.

I drive strategically and coast to stoplights for example.

Vehicle is slightly utilitarian, but built soundly and reasonably comfortable.

I've put 130K miles on it in 7+ years. Currently I'm over 280K and it drives as well as it did when I bought it at 150K.

Vehicle has been in Georgia since new, is rust-free and has kept original finish very well except on hood.

Review Date: 1st November, 2006

1994 Nissan Pathfinder 3.0L V6MFI from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0L V6MFI Automatic

Summary:

Nissan definitely needs to come clean on this!!

The frame is definitely wrong with this vehicle!!!

It is very badly rusted through and needs repair I'm sinking the money into the repair of this fine SUV as long as the rest of it doesn't fall apart. Two shops have declined to do the repairs and the local Nissan dealer won't even look or deal with the problem!!

General Comments:

The car handles beautifully for it's age, but, the frame is the worst I've ever seen!!

Review Date: 10th October, 2006

11th Oct 2006, 08:35

Don't throw good money after bad. If the frame is gone, forget about it! Better to spend your money on a newer vehicle than try to fix something that is unsafe.

26th Nov 2006, 05:20

I have a 1992 Pathfinder myself and was just told by the mechanic who did the annual inspection to plan on just junking the truck due to the rusted frame. I've seen a couple of posts showing that the frame can be 'box welded' to shore up its support. I really like my truck and will probably try this route myself.

27th Nov 2006, 16:55

I have a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder, power everything, sunroof. Love it, but got bad news that the frame is too far gone. Brand new frame is $2,000, with free delivery:-). I know I shouldn't, but I'm really thinking about doing it.

5th Feb 2007, 20:21

Any body knows how to check whether the frame has been rotten? I am planning to buy a used pathfinder.

9th Apr 2009, 20:22

I have owned two wd21's, and it is a design FLAW with the rear frame, there is no kind of drainage so it is a natural host for rust. It can be prevented and fixed but too many of these trucks were condemned to the life of a soccer mom, and were never properly maintained!

When buying these trucks, aim for one with owners only in dry states, as I have seen 1989 wd21's from Arizona and such with no frame rust whatsoever...

Don't blame the truck though, they run forever, and get you anywhere including through the Moab!

30th Jul 2009, 07:21

CASH FOR CLUNKERS!!! Just dumped my Nissan with rotted Frame! Couldn't sell it for $500 in the shape it was in, took the $4500 and bought a Ford Escape!!!