1996 Nissan Primera LX 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It's the most reliable car... EVER!

General wear and tear:

Replaced original alternator at 80k.

Replaced original radiator at 70k.

Replaced original back calliper 88k.

Parts are cheap to buy, so no bother there!

The only thing that possibly lets this car down is the image and style. But who cares for the sake of reliability

General Comments:

The car is one of the most reliable car I have driven. I have had no engine problems at all. When I first bought it and thought it may breakdown during my long trips from Halifax to London, but it has always proved me wrong.

This is a superb car and well worth buying!!

With minimum care, I love the fact it has never let me down.

It's a hidden GEM!

Review Date: 30th November, 2007

1996 Nissan Primera GXE 2.0 Twin Cam from Brunei

Summary:

Just Love this car. Very happy to have one

Rear & Front wheel bearing changed.

Changed the clutch assembly. (Original was a auto gear box)

General Comments:

I went to see the car to one of my friend.I fell in love at the first look.Since he was hesitant, just I bought it for B$ 4400/-.( US $ 2900).Originally it was a auto transmission. Changed by the previous owner. Since I found it's quite fun with manual, I just repaired the clutch etc.

A bit stiff suspensions (again changed by previous owner).

Apart from this, the car is excellent. Lot of pickup, good cornering and braking is fantastic.

Fuel economy around 11.3 KM/Lt on highway.

Review Date: 27th April, 2007

1996 Nissan Primera LX 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Old fellows car

Needed a couple of new exhausts, but that's nothing odd over 10 years.

Uneven tyre wear is annoying. It seemed that every other month, I was getting a new tyre as the car got older, especially on the drivers side.

Rust on the rear door sills and door handles, both sides. Quite a lot of it too.

Wiper jets blocked and clogged up.

2 new drive-shafts have been required along with an additional separate CV joint.

General Comments:

The car was very reliable, it started every time over the 8 years of ownership, except when my dad had left the lights on.

This car is for an aging family with a couple of kids; It has a massive boot which is great, I managed to get 5 people and all their camping equipment for Leeds Festival in the car. It is very comfortable, with a pull-down armrest in the back and lots of leg room. When cruising at a steady pace, fuel consumption isn't too bad, so it does well on motorway journeys.

If you are of a younger generation and intend on getting a car that you can "raz" about in, to and from work, then this is definitely not the car for you!

Because the suspension is so soft, the handling is not very precise, and due to this I have ended up in a ditch and face to face with a tree. The engine's power doesn't seem to last after a couple of months of heavy driving - I did about 8,000 miles over the period of the last 4 months of owning the car, and my driving was a lot less than reserved.

Review Date: 30th January, 2006

1996 Nissan Primera slx saloon 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Overated piece of crap

Cold starting problems when car stood for more than a couple of hours.

General Comments:

Really looked forward to getting a primera, how wrong was i? what a let down. one of nissans worst.

Review Date: 16th March, 2005

18th Mar 2005, 14:18

It's a 9 year old car, there are bound to be some issues with it. Check HT leads + distributor cap!!

13th May 2005, 13:46

I have owned one 1996SLX for 5yrs and have had no bother at all.

The 2lt.

Pulls like a sports car and corners on rails.

A car to be driven and loved.

11th Dec 2008, 23:01

I suggest you go and buy a Renault Laguna II or a Megane II (the one that shakes an ass) then you will know what an overrated piece of crap is!

If this is all you can fault your Primera with, I feel that is not just cause to give the blue face, and is an unfair criticism of what is generally a damn fine car, and yes I do own a Primera thank you, and yes it's had a couple of problems, but I do not slate it for that. Read my review on here - 1999 Primera 2.0 Sport+ CVT Auto, it's the top one in the list. I still like my car despite it having more problems than you experienced.

17th Feb 2009, 17:00

The Primera is one of the best cars ever made, very very reliable, I love them.