1997 Nissan Primera Reviews - Page 3 of 10

1997 Nissan Primera camino 2.0 from Jamaica

Model year1998
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

It is a nice car just a bit expensive to maintain in Jamaica

I have a primera camino with the CVT transmission and it does not change out while driving. what is the problem?

General Comments:

I love the car though... wickedly fast and quick. Handles like a BMW.

Review Date: 29th October, 2006

1997 Nissan Primera GX 1.6 from Iceland

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2001
Most recent distance120000 kilometres
Previous carSkoda old

Summary:

Great car - no luxury

Something fastening the front wheel had to be changed.

Windows do not keep 100% closed the last year I owned it and in very bad weathers in Iceland it would become wet inside, I did not fix it before I sold it.

Automatic door lock for the rear seat broke the same thing happened in my 2001 primera.

It is still running in year 2006 as I saw it on the street the other day.

General Comments:

Great car, but as it was not a hatchback the boot was not very good I would recommend the hatchback version as it has enormous space and easy access. The station version has almost less space than the hatchback :S.

Good space for passengers, handles good.

Only 14" tires I would reccomend a version with 15" specially in snow, gravel road and when crossing rivers and for other adventures :).

Nissan garage are overcharging service cost and doing an awful job, so I let some garage not accepted by my Nissan dealer service it and I maybe I should visit them more often.

Main reason for buying it is good second hand price in Iceland for a car this size, bought another one in 2003 (2001 model) and I will probably be buying my third second hand Primera next year.

Review Date: 20th March, 2006

29th Sep 2010, 19:57

Good for crossing rivers, eh? I also cross rivers in my Primera in my country. But I use an invention called a bridge.

1997 Nissan Primera GT 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1997

Summary:

Cannot praise this car enough

Nothing major at all, when I first got the car the exhaust kept comming out from it's mounts, but had that fixed for £5, also the odd rattle.

General Comments:

I love this car, I have owned it for almost a year, it's nice to have a car that will sit easily at 80mph on the motorway and is easy to drive round town. But when you want it to, it can really go just keep it over 4000rpm and the noise you get is wonderful (I've had mine to 137mph, 0-60mph just over 8 seconds). Also the handling for a big car is out of this world, you just keep pushing it and it eats up the road.

One slightly negative thing is the hard suspension, but you can live with that.

The seat are supportive and comfortable and head room and boot space is amazing. (you could hide a cow in the boot)

Unfortunately I'm having to sell mine because I need a van/estate for work I will be very very sad to see it go.

If your thinking of buying one then go for it, change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and it will never let you down just stay away from the main dealers they're no help at all.

Review Date: 5th January, 2006

1997 Nissan Primera SXI 2l from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2l Manual
Previous carVauxhall Cavalier

Summary:

Brilliant engineering fantastic reliability very long life cycle

Starter Motor at 85000 miles.

General Comments:

Its done 149000 miles and only one real car stopping fault (starter motor).

Everything else like tyres and brakes seem to last well.

This has been a fantastic reliable car and my daughter now has one as well.

Still drives well after all those miles and would not hesitate to take it on a driving tour round Europe with total confidence.

Will be buying another one, but who knows when as this one just keeps on rolling on.

Review Date: 9th December, 2005

1997 Nissan Primera GT 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Distance when acquired72000 miles
Previous carCitroen ZX

Summary:

Overall a good and reliable car

Starter motor just beginning to screech on cold starts.

Rust appearing on boot where the spoiler is mounted.

General Comments:

This car has great handling and sticks to the road like glue, much better than my Citroen ZX I had previously.

It's a good looking car with the body- kit and larger wheels, although inside is a bit dull - grey plastic everywhere.

Performance for a big car is reasonable with 150bhp, but you have to keep it above 4500rpm to get the best out of it, otherwise you get left behind (got obliterated by a Mercedes Sprinter van on the motorway the other day and by a VW Polo diesel on a hill!)

Does anyone know if it is easy to modify this type of engine, needs more torque.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2005

2nd Nov 2005, 16:36

Beaten by a Sprinter van? That is very unusual- I know your car isn't the quickest in it's class, but with 150bhp it should be able to smoke a van with relative ease. Your engine may need checking if it's not dishing out the performance it should, because it is a quick car. My friend has a standard GT and it almost keeps pace with my Mercedes E320 when driven properly.