1997 Nissan Primera GT 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A real joy to own and drive.

Two exhaust sections have needed replacing due to slight "blowing".

Battery flattened by fault in interior light, which didn't turn itself off.

General Comments:

The car has been extremely fun to drive, combining an understated presence with a responsive engine.

It is possible to drive it sedately, but the free-revving engine is itching to propel the car toward the horizon.

The boot space is generous enough to take all a family can throw at it.

The low driving position and stiff suspension, coupled with the firm, but supportive seats make any journey, short or long, a pleasure to undertake.

Review Date: 6th April, 2005

1997 Nissan Primera Camino CVT 2.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

All I could wish is Nissan should use a 2.5L V6 engine on this wagon

When bought, one side mirror failed to fold back.

General Comments:

Suspension is hard, not as comfortable as Toyota.

CVT is great, but little bit rattle when is in low speed.

2.0 DOHC engine is powerful, but little noisy (may be fussy, but compared to my old 1.5L Nissan, which is a great small car).

In general, this car is superb when you think of same year Camry wagon's price. CVT is something fascinating, specially when speed is over 80km/h, feels very smooth.

Wagon shape is robust not like those new one (too feminine).

Want to thank to the previous Japanese. owner who had been careful and nearly changed everything (oil, air filter, brake pads and two new Goodyear tyres in front) when he/she sold this car to NZ.

Review Date: 4th December, 2004

18th Feb 2013, 05:57

I'm interested in the fuel consumption (km/L) and the optimum speed where consumption is lowest for the vehicle.

1997 Nissan Primera GX 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Economical and Bomb proof, it's great

Only fault is boot handle sometimes won't open unless key is inserted and turned.

General Comments:

I've owned the car for over 6 years and have no plans to change it for some time yet, as a part time car dealer I know a good car when I see one! I change the oil/filter annually and coolant every four years and that is all the maintenance it's ever had or needed. It's still on the original exhaust and clutch and I've only had to replace one light bulb. There is no rust, fit and finish are superb. Steering feel and handling cannot be faulted, but the ride is a little firm compared to the latest Mondeo or Focus. Fuel economy is excellent, 40 Miles per gallon are the norm. The boot is huge, quality standard radio/cassette and no signs of wear make this a great family car.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2004

21st Apr 2007, 09:39

Update from owner April 2007: We've still got the same Primera 1.6 GX and it's still faultless and rust free. It is still on the original exhaust, clutch and even spark plugs, no wear to the seats, original paint is perfect and it's running beautifully at 65000 miles. Recommended!

1997 Nissan Primera GT 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A fantastic performance low budget car!

Like most people, the rear brakes stick on when left for a period of over 24 hours. I recently had the rear pads replaced and the problems seems to have now gone.

There is an irritating noise coming from the engine, but I have had it recently serviced and they seem to think that all is well.

Couple of squeaks coming from the interior of the car, but that's what the stereo was invented for.

General Comments:

This is my second Primera GT, and after HAVING to sell my last one, as soon as I could afford another I went out and got exactly the same model, colour, spec as my last. I love them.

The acceleration for a non-turbo car is great, and the fuel economy for me, doing 70 miles each way up and down the motorway per day, returns about 33 mpg, costing about £33 for a 300 mile trip (dependant on petrol prices).

The seating for the first couple of days seemed uncomfortable, but this seems to have gone now and the seating is great. I am 6ft 7in and fit into this car very comfortably.

Review Date: 16th February, 2004