2008 Nissan Rogue SL Premium from North America - Comments

17th Jan 2012, 10:42

Rear brakes at 31k miles and front brakes at 44k miles? That's sounds more than reasonable. Something that folks don't understand about "highway driving" is that slowing down a vehicle from 70-80mph, even infrequently, wears more on the braking surfaces than frequent braking at low, city-street speeds. Sounds like normal brake component wear-and-tear, with a little bit of complaining in there.

12th Dec 2012, 23:15

One thing I have learned, that all drivers should abide by when stopping, either from high speed or especially going down hill, is to pump the brakes instead of just keeping your foot down the entire time. By pumping the brakes, you allow more cooling and less friction, and this prevents warp. When you constantly hold down the brake pedal, especially down a long steep hill, the friction causes heat to build up, and this in turn causes the rotors to warp when cooled down. This will cause the brake pedal to pulsate or the back wheels to feel not balanced when braking.

Also, just as important is to leave lots of room between you and other drivers to prevent hard braking. Doing these two things alone will lengthen the life of your brakws and rotors. Just thought I would say this, as warped rotors were mentioned in the review above, and can most of the time be entirely prevented.

Other than that, I thought it was a great review.

Tommaso

1st Nov 2013, 19:23

I just don't get the three comments above.

Brake discs tend to warp under hard braking? What are you guys talking about? Even the cheapest Chinese disks don't warp under heavy braking.

Are you guys telling us brake disks are not manufactured for hard braking? Come on, that sounds like a dealer technician trick to sell brake jobs, you know what I'm talking about. A brake disk DOESN'T warp, even in an emergency braking.

Reasons a brake disk might create vibration at braking are rusted/rust pits on the disk, cheap replacement brake pads that stick on the disks when the car sits for a long time, uneven wheel lugs tightening, and stuck caliper sliding pins.

26th Feb 2014, 13:50

I own a 2011 Nissan Rogue that was bought brand new. This is my third Nissan. First was a Titan, and next was a Maxima. Seems funny I never had a problem with the brakes on either one of those.

The Rogue I now own has had the brakes and rotors fixed three times! Now out of warranty, they want to do nothing about it. I was told the three times they fixed it, that they had replaced the rotors and brakes. Now I find out they only turned the rotors and put new brake pads on it. The brake systems on these cars are defective, and it's not the fault of myself. I am now in contact with consumer affairs about this issue, and hoping to get some kind of help with this issue.

I also was told the other day at Nissan shop, that they put a different type of rotor on the 2015 Rogues. If there is not an issue, then why did they change the rotors?

The car is awesome, except for the rotor / brake problem!

27th Feb 2014, 18:01

I respectfully disagree.

The warped rotors I have seen over the years have usually been caused by over torquing/mismatched torque of the lug nuts.

I have "fixed" them sometimes by correct torque and some hard and repeated braking to heat and straighten them. This only works sometimes.

Add another comment