1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Other than this problem, great reliability/performance!

Fully-charged battery - but nothing electrical works (lights, locks, etc.) Is there an in-line fuse?

General Comments:

Until this morning, car has run perfectly; when I tried to start it, it was completely dead, although it ran great yesterday with no sign of any problems. Battery has a full-charge, so don't know what may be wrong...

Other than this morning, it has been very reliable, great acceleration, gas mileage, etc. Only minor cosmetic-type problems and ordinary wear-and-tear otherwise - everything else has been terrific. Can anyone please give advice on what may be wrong?

Review Date: 23rd November, 2010

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

I still can't believe I bought it for 800!!!

Makes a loud noise in the belt pulley system.

Rubbers around the doors that seal the inside are desiccating.

Hail damage to the roof, & back seats are a pain in my $%# to take off; I still don't know how to take them off...

Seat belts are worn out and won't retract.

Also, the previous owners wanted to turn off the A/C compressor, because it always runs, so they could get better gas mileage, and there's a switch I got to turn on not to have A/C. Yeah red necks LOL.

General Comments:

Cars handles nicely; not as quick as my Cavalier, but then again, my Cavalier was tuned.

Really can't complain; I bought it for 800 and it's been one of the best cars I've had. I'm still in awe every time my trunk closes by itself, and my friends are like, did it just do that???

Lots of inside lights, so the whole car lights up when you open a door, except the driver's door, but I think that's just my car.

Great gas mileage for how big the car is. I thought I was gonna have an onion wallet (you know, every time I look at it, I cry) but no, it does good on gas, but I think the gas gauge is broken, it needs a lil work, but it's a pimp car, and even pimper for the price I paid for it.

Power windows and locks work really good. Make me feel like a grandpa, even though the car is one year younger than me.

Review Date: 17th January, 2010

18th Jan 2010, 18:28

My "trunk closes by itself", too.

Worn-out trunk lid strut supports do not awe me, though.

3rd Feb 2010, 00:26

18th Jan 2010, 18:28.

My "trunk closes by itself", too.

Worn-out trunk lid strut supports do not awe me, though.

Worn struts are no match for the "one tap" system on the Olds.

When you pop the trunk it will spring open. When you close the trunk you just gently rest the trunk lid to the latch and it will automatically grab the trunk lid and pull it down.

I never had to slam the trunk down or get extra dirty hands with my 1990 98.

28th Jul 2010, 16:12

That is very odd. My car has the same problem with the lights. xD.

23rd May 2011, 00:59

My car's lights did the same - when I opened the driver's door the lights didn't turn on.

R.I.P. though. :(

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Bought on basis of reliability. However, I got much less

Just about everything. The car has needed extensive brake work, a full tune up, an alternator, a battery, crankshaft positioning sensor, coil packs, and now the engine is making odd sounds. The ride is not as smooth as I've been told it is. The armrests are loose, and there is a grease stain on the front seat. A hubcap has fallen off as well.

General Comments:

I bought my Olds 98 last year in the fall for $400. So far, I have been very disappointed with it. Everyone tells me how "reliable" these cars are. However, mine has been nothing, but problems. The power windows are slow, the brake pedal is spongy, and the car makes an odd creaking noise every time I get in it for about 30 seconds. I think that might be the body coming loose from the frame. Even performance is mediocre. I will admit that the seats are comfortable, and gas mileage is OK, but other than that, I can't really recommend an 89 Olds 98. They don't seem to be as reliable as I've been told. Hopefully this fall, I'll have enough saved up for another car. Next time, it will most likely be a used Accord or Camry. No more GM cars for me. Not after this nightmare.

Review Date: 26th August, 2004

26th Aug 2004, 18:19

After 295,000 miles, no car will be running OK!!!

26th Aug 2004, 18:47

What an absurd review. This car had 295k on it when you bought it, and you expected it to be perfect? And on top of that, most of the "problems" you mentioned are routine things that go on just about ANY car, regardless of manufacturer, at various points during it's lifetime. How is a grease stain on the front seat the car's fault? The "creaking" noise you're hearing is probably your self leveling suspension evening the car out when people get in it. The body won't be coming off the frame because an 89 olds 98 is not a body on frame design. Sorry about the long comment, I just can't tolerate a foolish review.