1989 Oldsmobile 98 Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Chevette

Summary:

Still holds its value and reliability at 230,000 miles

All parts bought from Autozone.

Starter at 215,000 miles - $65.00.

Alternator and belt at 216,000 miles - $80.00.

Both front struts at 220,000 miles - $60.00 each.

Inner tie rod at 225,000 miles - $20.00.

Computer at 227,000 miles - $80.00.

Radiator leaks at 230,000 miles - $55.00 (junk yard)

General Comments:

All owners of this car lived down a dirt road (reason for under-body work.)

This car was given to me by my grandparents and was the best car I have ever drove, regardless of the "granny" appearance.

Maintenance was not a big problem, Autozone always gave me the best prices and I had my Uncle or Dad fix my car.

I parked this car only because the radiator was leaking and I thought I needed a new car. I am now thinking of selling my new car (1999 Malibu LS) and driving this car again.

This car has EVERY option possible and has so many luxury features. I would buy one brand new if they still made them. Very comfortable and handles very well.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2003

1st Aug 2004, 07:52

I agree with everything you said. These cars are solid and reliable. They are actually quite hard to kill.

1st Nov 2004, 18:49

I have 1989 Oldsmobile Regency Brougham and I still drive it. I would not sell it. Transmission fluid is little leaking and will have it checked.

I am 66 yrs old and I am hearing impaired.

This car is best I ever drive, had it for 2 yrs. I bought it from my brother.

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Broughm V6 3.8L from North America

Engine and transmission V6 3.8L Automatic

Summary:

A real beast

Horn would go off by its self in cold weather.

Gas lines rotted out to the point of leaking at around 151000 miles. This cost almost $400 to repair.

Brake lines also rusted out and in need of replacement now.

Seats worn due to heavy use.

General Comments:

This has been overall a good car. However several expensive repairs just months after getting it were a bit discouraging. Guess rust is just part of life in the great northeast.

Other than that it has been a very reliable car, having no problems starting up, even in the bitter cold (-30F) weather this winter.

This beast is an excellent winter weather car, with very little slipping or sliding even in the worst of conditions.

Very strong car also, had a small crash with a Chevy S10 pickup, the S10 lost its back bumper while the beast only had a cracked turn signal.

Review Date: 21st February, 2003

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham 3.8 from North America

First year of ownership1989
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carGMC Sonoma

Summary:

With great cars like this, why must Olds go?

The Electronic Climate Control and factory CD player displays flicker inadvertently together, but not all the time. The car runs hot in the summer, cold in the winter. This car has gone through 3 computers.

General Comments:

I love this car. It was handed down to me from my parents. I remember when we brought it home new. It has been reliable and has always had great gas mileage. Ricers beware when I am on the prowl in this car!

Wish I could figure out why the displays on the climate control and the CD player flicker...

Review Date: 3rd January, 2003

23rd Apr 2004, 14:18

I am hearing impaired. I love my 1989 olds 98 regency brougham. I am still driving and it runs very smooth. there is one problem with yellow light on for a long time, "engine service soon" people tells me not to worry about it.

Is it safe to drive on a long trip.

I had my car check everything like oil, transmission, etc. all are good.

25th Jun 2010, 16:13

If the lights flicker together like that, I would look for a faulty ground. Since the lights work and it is intermittent, it sounds like what they call a floating ground. Meaning the ground makes connection and loses connection. Not knowing when it happens, it's hard to guess. If it only happens while driving, that would be my guess; try tapping the dash when sitting still to see if it flickers; if it does, that's it.