1989 Oldsmobile 98 Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Royale 3.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic

Summary:

A low cost reliable car

The alternator went out at about 150000 miles.

The AC compressor had to be replaced at 150000 miles and the blower was replaced at 162000 miles.

General Comments:

The car is in excellent condition for being 13 years old. It still rides as smooth as the day I got it, even up to 85 MPH.

I still get 27-28 MPG on the highway and 24 MPG overall combined city/highway. This is an excellent car. I've put little money into it and gotten so much out of it. With normal oil changes and maintenance, this car will run for over 250,000 miles easily! Excellent car.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2002

17th Jun 2003, 10:36

I got 370k out of my 89 Olds 98, before I traded it in. The car still runs today. Hold on to yours, it is a very good car.

13th Dec 2003, 18:32

My 89 Touring Sedan gave me 289,000 miles of flawless driving. The only reason I don't have the car any longer is I, not my car, had a senior moment and I demolished it while backing into my garage. The car won, the kitchen lost.

1989 Oldsmobile 98 regency 3.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carOldsmobile 98

Summary:

The car is a steal of a deal the chicks dig it and love the back seat

The air conditioner on the car went out and the brake cable broke causing the brakes to fail. The window go up very slow. The back seat is wearing quickly if you know what I mean.

General Comments:

I love the panel information system.

I love how comfortable the back seat is.

However the seats are still wore badly in the back seat.

Has a lot of trunk space for you know those special things in life.

Review Date: 30th October, 2002

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Touring Sedan 3.8 V6 from North America

Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carMercury Tracer

Summary:

Superb comfort, sufficient power, cheap luxury!

The thermostat was stuck open so the engine would not heat up properly.

The alternator died about two months after I bought it.

General Comments:

This is a fine example of what Oldsmobile should have done with their automobiles.

The seats are the most comfortable I have ever been in.

My wife was in a car accident and this is the only car that she can ride in and drive comfortably. And it doesn't make us look like we're terribly old, as a typical Oldsmobile does.

Review Date: 24th May, 2002

28th Jul 2004, 12:03

I completely agree. And I believe that this version of the ninety eight was a high point in Olds engineering. It had luxury, reliability, was big without being too big (Roughly the size of a Chevy Lumina) plus great fuel economy and excellent performance. All of this without sacrificing style and prestige. Dropping the Ninety Eight model in 1996 (after 55 years), and going for a more "import" type flavor, in my opinion was a part of what led to the unfortunate demise of Oldsmobile.

5th Oct 2005, 20:22

I agree that the 1989 Touring Sedan is one of the best luxury cars ever produced by GM. I still have mine and love it. It is a special black executive model (with blacked out chrome) and gets more looks than any Cadillac. The entire layout is one of the best I've ever seen and I only wish GM had taken this car to new heights, instead of terminating the brand. My '89 will be a collector's car soon as there were not many made and few survive. I am amazed that all the electronics still work great! I finally bought a new 2001 Cadillac Deville Touring Sedan, which was the closest model available (to my 1989 Touring Sedan). It is nice, but still lacks in comparison.

2nd Mar 2006, 12:46

I'm 17 I have had this car for 3 years and it is a awsome car. if it had a little more power it would be nice. the only other thing is it understears at high speeds.

23rd May 2007, 20:59

Our family owns one and it's been great. 190,000 miles and still running. Two transmissions, but otherwise been great.

1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham 231ci. 3800 V-6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 231ci. 3800 V-6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corsica

Summary:

A great luxury performance oriented reliable car

The only thing is the blower motor which I replaced by myself for only $40.00 a week after I bought the car.

General Comments:

The air shocks make for a very smooth gliding airy ride. It's so smooth you feel as if your car is floating. It feels like driving a luxury Cadillac.

This car also has some serious power and is very reliable. It's my favorite car.

Review Date: 8th February, 2001

12th Jul 2001, 19:21

I agree. I had a 90 Olds Regency for 4 years. The 3.8 V6 is pretty fast. I sold it just because I was moving. It was running great with 199,900 miles. The only problem I can think of is the blower motor module got stuck in the ON position. It was a $90 part. I never fixed it. But, the engine and tranny were giving me absolutely no signs of getting old. Very reliable car.

9th Jun 2006, 23:29

I have a 1989 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham, that has 2 problems:

1, the trans won't stop leaking

2. The a/c doesn't work.

Not bad for 333,400 miles I would say.