3rd Oct 2007, 15:21
I have a 2000 Olds Alero GL (4 cyl). Paid off and has only 59,000 miles. Bought car with about 14K.
I have had the following issues:
- Fan worked only on high - easy/cheap fix, but paid for it
- Turn signals stopped working - warranty covered
- Car died in traffic in mid-town Manhattan earlier this year - IT WAS EMBARRASSING - TRUST ME!! Anyway - it was like it wasn't getting gas and it was shaking, etc. FUEL PUMP & FILTER which is in the gas tank. In Manhattan it cost me $900 (I had to get home) so think of me when you talk about $500...
- Replaced pads twice so far, all 4 rotors this year as well
- I do notice the "gunning" into gear at times - idles at really low RPM and then jumps to 3000 RPM very quickly. I do feel like I am losing power sometimes - but I have never stalled other than the incident in Manhattan.
- Do have a rattle when the car is idling - worse when the A/C is on... but will not have checked out after listening to "unable to diagnose" stories posted on here
- In winter or cold mornings, condensation on inside of windows
- Rear defrost still works, but not great
- Molding on interior is starting to loosen over driver door & rear passenger doors
- Power mirror doesn't work for either side anymore
- I agree there are many blind spots.
NO PROBLEMS WITH STEREO AS SEVERAL HAVE MENTIONED.
FINAL THOUGHT - probably will just ride it as far as it goes. If a "major" repair comes along I will most likely just get a new car and sell this one for whatever I can get. It would be good for a college student who only has a couple thousand dollars to spend and just needs to get from A to B.
17th Oct 2007, 19:48
Bought a 2001 Alero with 98,000 a couple months ago and also had my mechanic look at it before purchasing. No obvious issues. But alas, now I'm taking my life in my hands driving this lemon as it stalls in the middle of driving at least once a day, rendering turn signals useless and steering and braking nearly impossible while trying to get out of traffic. The only clear-cut solution appears to have been mentioned above with replacing fuel pump, etc. Any other cases where someone has been able to fix this issue successfully and for the long-run? DON'T buy this vehicle if you are considering, and if you're thinking about selling this death-trap, the cost of scrap steel these days is a better bet for your conscience and the general public safety.
23rd Nov 2007, 09:14
I bought my 2000 Olds Alero in May 2007 with about 91,000 miles.
Where should I begin with the problems
1. Air conditioner doesn't work and makes the most obnoxious squeaking noise.
2. Car would shake like crazy whenever I drove on the expressway. Had to fix the rotors. Still need new tires.
3. Many many belts had to be replaced. I realize this is maintenance.
4. I have the same problem where the security light comes on and the car will not start for about 10 minutes.
5. Low Trac light is almost always on.
6. Today after finally breaking into my frozen car I discovered my rear defroster does not work.
7. My heater also started making a clicking noise.
This car is the worst car I've ever bought.
I bought a 91 Toyota with 100,000 miles more than the Alero and it never had this many problems.
7th Jan 2008, 16:00
Well, I have a 2000 Alero with 126K miles on it. I have had some of the same problems as mentioned above. It has stalled out on me several times. It was only happening when I drove out of town until last week and finally it happened here in town. Although I was not happy at 6am as I was on the way to work and it was the coldest morning so far this year. This last time it stalled it would not restart.
My mechanic has had it almost a week and has determined the computer has to be replaced so we shall see if this fixes the problem. I am getting to the point I don't want to put more money in this car. I have had it 8 yrs and really have not had too many problems with it. I did have to replace the A/C compressor last summer, but other than that its been mainly maintenance for this car. I hope this is resolved with the computer and I don't have to get another car.
8th Jan 2008, 08:48
I also bought a 2000 Oldsmobile alero in June 2006 and it had 54000 miles when I bought it. Now it has about 84000 miles on it. Yeah I know I drive a whole lot, but last year I had a few occurrences with the security light being on and I could not start the car. This happened to me more than twice and I had to sit in the car for about 10 or more minutes before it could restart. It was so embarrassing. Now I am just really nervous about the whole shutting down on the freeway and I am just praying that it does not happen to me. When my security light came on, I called the dealership and they said to me I had to bring in the car when it was not working otherwise they would not be able to diagnose the problem. I did not do that because as soon as I got off the phone, the car started again. Recently though, on two occasions I have not been able to defrost my car and the heater has not worked either. One time it took about 30 minutes before the heater would start working and I almost froze to death. Now my service engine light is on and I took the car to the dealership where they say it will cost 150 for the bank1 sensor2 and 150 for the labor; $300. I pray that I will not be forking out any more money for this car.
23rd Jan 2008, 18:27
I have a 1999 Alero and I had to laugh at all these posts. This car is a lemon for sure. I have had many of the same problems with lights coming on for a while and then turning off. My biggest problem has been my windows. I had to replace the motor and some other mechanism which cost me 460 dollars. They are cheap and made out of plastic. I saw what they looked like. Don't open your windows when it's freezing outside. That was my mistake. I am also experiencing severe issues with my defrost. Basically it is no longer defrosting my side windows. Very scary. All in all this car has been a pain to deal with. Only good part is that it is paid off.
23rd Feb 2008, 18:17
I have a 2000 Alero. Purchased it new and currently have 104,000 miles on it. Today it stalled while I was driving on the freeway. I pulled over and it restarted. I immediately got an oil change and new battery, just for the car to stall 2 hours later driving 30 mph on a side street. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person with this problem. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Other issues in the 7 years I've had it.
-turn signals start blinking at warp speed.
-new brake work 2 or 3 times a year
-coil over the wheel broke in two.
-liquid leaking from my car for the last 5 years.
-the hood is starting to rust
-passenger windshield wiper does not clean the windshield.