1995 Oldsmobile Aurora Reviews

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 V8 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.0 V8 Automatic

Summary:

Wow

I've had this car for about 8 months, and I've had to replace the starter and two coil packs.

Now it is acting like it is wanting to heat up, and I'm almost sure that the fans aren't working. I'm looking into a coolant sensor. I thought it would have been a blown fuse, but I can't seem to locate a fuse for the fan in any of the fuse boxes. If anyone could tell me about this, I would appreciate it greatly.

My car also leaks oil around the oil pan; not extremely, but about 1/4 qt. per week or two. If I get this fixed, it will cost me 1200 dollars, because to get to the oil pan, you either have to remove the engine or the transmission to replace the gaskets on the oil pan.

General Comments:

I like this car, and it has been reliable since I got it, except when the starter went out. But other than that, it's a nice car and runs great.

Review Date: 16th February, 2011

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 Litre from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 Litre Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

With all great cars, comes great cost

Radiator was replaced, oil pan, spark plugs with wires, fuel filter, compressor, drivers side window motor, rear shocks, PCV valve, front windshield, and some computer module that I cannot for the life of me remember.

General Comments:

Yes, the traction light comes on first, then I heard the anti lock brake mechanism, "grind or more like a awww-aww-awww sound" while in park.

After it stops, I put it into gear and start driving. After a few minutes, (sometimes) the anti-lock brakes will engage while driving (it startled me at first one time while in traffic traveling at low speed).

When that ceases, both the traction light and anti lock brakes come on and stay lit until I turn off the engine. Is this a mechanical/electronic problem, or simply a computer module problem?

Review Date: 13th May, 2010

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora from North America

Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership2010
Previous carOldsmobile Aurora

Summary:

Great drive, but can have many expensive problems

Starting to hear and feel thumping noise in the engine, on the driver's side, when the car is idled or while driving it. I feel the car thumping, I noticed that the rpms kind of drop a little past 1 1/2. The car runs smoothly and strongly, but the thumping feeling and noise is getting worse.. could this be the motor mounts?? Open to any comments please!!! :)

Also my headlight switch needs to be replaced. Going to cost me $500 for the switch (new) and labor..

Security light is on, scared to know what else can happen.. :(

Review Date: 2nd April, 2010

6th Apr 2010, 09:04

"Great drive, but can have many expensive problems"

- The 1995 Aurora was a totally new car for Olds, unlike anything they ever made before, and as such was a terrible lemon.

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0L Northstar from North America

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 4.0L Northstar Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

Combination of luxury and muscle car

Well, my idle speed control motor went, which causes the thumping noise when you shut the car off and makes the gas pedal pulse. Also, if not fixed the isp motor can cause your tranny to go in limp mode after a while. Ya not cool.

General Comments:

Love the car; very quick and peppy for a big car, smooth ride. Just got back from a 1000 mile round trip. The car didn't over heat, stall, or break down at all. Also I was getting about 25 mpg on the highway. I think that's pretty awesome for a V8.

Review Date: 21st July, 2009

22nd Jul 2009, 09:07

"Combination of luxury and muscle car"

- It's too bad that stupid GM didn't realize that!

1995 Oldsmobile Aurora V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1994
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic

Summary:

One of the best automobiles we have ever owned

Probably three (3) recalls. Most recently safety recalled for fuel lines. Work was done by local dealer without problems. Current problem is the security lock-out of the ignition. Ignition key has an embedded resistor which has been troublesome to many owners and seems to get more frequent with vehicle age.

General Comments:

The car was purchased and driven by my wife for a couple of years and we both loved it. Handles great, has great punch and is fun to drive. As she tires of automobiles quicker than I do, she wanted to trade the Aurora about five (5) years ago. I thought it was worth more than the dealer, so we kept it for me to drive to work.

Review Date: 11th July, 2008