1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 455 cubic inch from North America

Summary:

The very best car in 1976

Never had any problem, always kept up maintenance.

General Comments:

The car had black exterior, black velour interior and full vinyl roof. The motor was 455 cubic inch with 3 speed auto transmission. It was faster than a vette of the same year, and much more comfortable. I had a 76 vette, so I know.

It's a very sad day when they stopped making the Cutlass. And even sadder when I made the mistake of trading the Olds off on another car. I have never seen another on with those options.

Review Date: 13th March, 2010

14th Mar 2010, 16:45

"I have never seen another on with those options."

- Right. I know that only several hundred Cutlasses were built in the 1976 model year with the 455.

18th Mar 2010, 14:30

HAD a 76 Brougham bought new. Red ex with black soft landau top & black interior. 350ci. Great car. Punch it at about 40mph & 4 bbl would kick in. Speedometer would go up, gas gauge would go down. Loved that car!!!

23rd Jun 2010, 20:20

I just bought a 1976 Olds Cutlass Brougham with 28,000. Stock 455 three speed auto, but limited with options AC and AM/FM radio, no other options. Garage keep all those years and driven occasionally. I'm curious how many Broughams had the 455 option. Anyone know? Pacop03@aol.com.

24th Jun 2010, 11:20

There are very few 1976 Cutlasses with the 455. Maybe no more than a few hundred.

25th Jun 2010, 10:31

The '76 Cutlass was a nice car. I'd rather have a '76 Trans Am 455 4-speed myself though. I'd put that as the best of American cars for 1976.

12th Mar 2012, 12:35

I have owned a 1976 Cutlass Supreme with the 455 Rocket engine and a TH400 Trans for 9 years now. I bought it with 49,000 miles on it, and now it's got 51k on the clock.

It was special ordered with the 455, 8 track, rear defrost, rally wheels, white lettered radials, landau top, tilt sport steering wheel, cruise control, and black vinyl bucket seats WITHOUT a console. I have not seen another with this combination before.

BTW, less than 5% of these cars were equipped with the 455 engine. However they made hundreds of thousands of them, so there were a fair number of them that were equipped with Big Blocks engines. How many are left? That is a different story.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Rocket from North America

Summary:

Big Ugly Boat That Rocks!

There is nothing wrong with this car so far except for the rust. The roof is rusted out along the edge of the windshield and doors, but other than that, the car runs great.

General Comments:

This has to be the ugliest car I have ever seen. The lines are good, but it is faded green. The rust doesn't help. The car runs a lot better than it looks. It has a 350 Rocket which moves the car pretty well. I feel safe driving it, most cars will stay out of my way. The car handles great, and floats down the road. I was able to take 35 mph turns at 45 to 50 mph without losing control. My wife had trouble keeping me up with me in her car. I like this car, but there is someone at my job that needs it more than I do.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2005

4th Mar 2005, 10:55

Oh, other cars stay out of your way? And that makes you feel safe?

Cos you drive like a d***head?

Keep it up and sooner or later you'll get the attention of a car with red and blue lights on it.

7th Mar 2005, 12:21

Actually, I drive very carefully. I did not realize I was going as fast as I was, but when I did, I was very surprised. I went around a few more corners at this speed to see how the car handled and was very impressed. I slowed down after that because taking corners at high speeds is dangerous. I admit, it was fun while it lasted!

1st Aug 2005, 08:35

What conditions was the car's suspension when you were taking corners at those speeds. Also did the vehicle have a 350 C.I.D. motor? Was the vehicle modified in any way? If not, did the car have a positrac rear axle? I only ask these questions because I am in the process of buying one and I am doing research to see what I am getting into.

7th Jan 2007, 16:55

I currently own one of these boats, it is a really good car, its hasn't given me any problems what so ever, when I bought it the car had been parked for 2 years, I put a little gas in it a boom started to purr like a kitten, ever since then I have been keeping it in pretty good shape mechanical wise, it does have a small, but considerable crash in the front right fender, and I am repairing as we speak, but I can't find the front part of the car to replace it, I either have to get one, or have a good body shop rebuild the one it has. Any suggestions?? this is my first car and well I really really like it. 1976 Cutlass coupe 5.7 350R swiveling bucket seats.

29th Sep 2011, 13:53

Did you consider repainting it? If the colour is as ugly as you say it is, a fresh paint job would've done it justice.

1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 5.7 ltr V8 from North America

Summary:

Best driving car on the planet!

Not much, except the typical water pump at around 33,000 miles. If you ever own an Olds 350 you will put on a water pump at some time. Everything was all original when I got the car with 31,963 miles on it. I have mostly just kept the oil changed and routine maintenance.

General Comments:

I have owned about a dozen Oldsmobiles, including four 76 Cutlass Supremes and two 77's. I have driven just about every make of car there is, and this car, hands down, out rides and handles any of them. My first 76 had almost 200k miles on it and didn't use a drop of oil. I have always regretted selling it. Keep the oil changed in an Oldsmobile and you can't kill them.

Review Date: 21st January, 2003

1st Nov 2006, 11:30

I totally agree that if you keep the oil changed you can't kill an Oldsmobile 350 engine. This has been the best driving car I have ever owned. I checked the clearances on the crankshaft bearings after 200k miles and I couldn't believe there was no wear on the bearings!

4th Sep 2009, 18:30

I have owned a 1976 Olds Cutlass Brougham. The motor was a 455 cubic inch, and it could outrun a Corvette of that year. The reason I sold it was because it didn`t have air-conditioning. I sure would love to have it today. Luxury plus power. The interior was black velour with black exterior. Oldsmobile have made some beautiful vehicles.

1st Oct 2011, 08:46

Sept. 4, 2009:

I also had a Cutlass with a 455, but a 1972. It too would take care of a Corvette of the same year. Mine had A/C, though. That's a great thing to have. It's too bad yours didn't have A/C.