1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Reviews

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme wagon 307 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 307 Automatic
Most recent distance190000 miles
Previous carBuick Century

Summary:

More than any other car I have owned, this is the one I most wish I had kept

Rusted brake lines replaced (cost £9).

Radio failed.

Alternator failed.

Apart from that, nothing at all has gone wrong with the car. I have replaced worn tyres and brakes, and replaced the windshield, which was cracked when I bought the car.

General Comments:

I bought the car for £150 as spares for another G Body car, but kept it, as it turned out to be in better shape.

I liked the bench front seat and found it comfortable, although I would have liked a tilt steering column, as I found the steering wheel a bit too high. I had no complaints from rear seat passengers either.

The dashboard was very plain, a speedometer and fuel gauge, and warning lights for everything else. I would have liked at least a temperature gauge.

The lack of gauges and not quite perfect steering position aside, I have nothing but praise for the car.

The lazy V8 gave effortless and swift, rather than rapid performance, and the transmission was very smooth.

It was a great tow car, pulling a caravan with consummate ease; hills or strong winds seemed to have little effect.

Fuel consumption was a very reasonable 22mpg. A caravan behind it reduced that to more like 15mpg. The best I got was 30 mpg on a long slow cruise on main roads and motorways, where the car was very much at home.

It had surprisingly good handling for its size; it got too uncomfortable to throw round bends long before it ran out of grip.

The ride was very comfortable, unladen or fully loaded.

It would swallow enormous amounts of luggage with the back seat up. With it down, I could put things in that wouldn't fit in most British vans.

Maintenance was easy, cheap, and simple. Spare parts are surprisingly easy and cheap to obtain, and there is plenty of room under the hood to work on the engine.

Review Date: 20th November, 2011

21st Nov 2011, 11:29

These were wonderful cars, and it is so interesting to hear they made it to the UK, and were even reasonably cheap to maintain there, so far from home.

One question - did this 307 Cutlass have the 'overdrive' transmission - that is the 4-spd auto - or the 3-spd auto?

14th Mar 2012, 12:16

Mine had the 350c transmission, 3 speed with a lockup converter.

16th Mar 2012, 13:10

21st Nov 2011, 11:29 here, thanks for the reply about the transmission. I've never owned a Cutlass, but owned two Delta 88s with the 307; one had the TH-200 3-speed automatic, and the other the TH-200-R4, the 4-speed version. Both were just OK, and I think your TH-350 is a much stronger, more durable transmission.

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4.3L diesel from North America

Model year1983
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.3L diesel
Distance when acquired72000 miles

Summary:

Absolutely superb!!

General Comments:

Great car! The V-6 diesel engine is a great engine. Superb gas mileage. I have average 34MPG in city driving. Starts right up every time.

I get a lot of looks when driving it, and especially when people find out it is diesel. You don't many of these left.

Treated properly and cared for, these Olds diesel engines will last forever.

Review Date: 26th April, 2011

1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Overdrive from North America

Model year1983
Engine and transmission 350 Overdrive Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

My Favorite Muscle Car

General Comments:

People may not see it, but 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme Broughams are a muscle car.

Very nice to drive. Is basically a metal block on wheels.

Intimidating and very eye catching.

Just add cherry bombs as your exhaust and you have a car that will catch attention.

These cars go though mud like a boat goes through water... If that makes sense.

Review Date: 13th September, 2006

13th Sep 2006, 22:32

Yes, yes, the Cutlass Supreme is a Muscle Car and the Toyota

Prius is an exotic Sports Car!!!

(Did I mention that my Jeep Wrangler rides like a Maybach & has the acceleration of a Dodge Viper?)

14th Sep 2006, 08:07

"My Favorite Muscle Car"

- With a 455, yes!

14th Sep 2006, 12:04

Also, 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme Broughams are very open for custom wiring and speaker cords.

Not only that, but there is plenty of room to take out the factory speakers in the rear window and put in something decent. The factory deck can easily be ripped out for anyone worried about working space and whatnot.

Since we are talking about a car from 1983, and since it's a car from Oldsmobile, you can expect everything to be durable.

If you see one of these cars for sale, give it a look. Trust me. They're great for paved road cruisin', dirt road baggin, and mud hole swampin'.

Just look at this beautiful '83.