1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1 V6 from North America

Summary:

Totally reliable, fast, comfortable and beautiful

Belt tensioner, rear brakes, rotors and calipers needed replacing.

The last mechanic said it needs tie rods, and I replaced the fuel filter after parking on a down hill and it refused to start, although I had a half tank of gas.

Passenger door handle broke.

General Comments:

I totally love this car. Not only is it the most comfortable car I've ever owned, but the power is incredible. Cold air intake and a glasspack exhaust, and this car roars.

Excellent gas mileage, even with 16 series tires all around and American racing rims. Also a custom center raised hood with hood locks. Definitely impressive looking.

I'll never sell this car. It floats on the open road...

Review Date: 23rd August, 2015

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.1L from North America

Summary:

Good bang for the price paid

Rusted brake lines, 4x in 7 years.

Rust (chassis, rocker panels and under rear wheel well into trunk).

General Comments:

I was told by 3 different mechanics I have one of the best engines built by GM; the 3.1L.

The engine outlived the body, which is a shame.

Solid car if the body doesn't rust.

Review Date: 20th June, 2014

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1 litre from North America

Summary:

They were asleep at the wheel when they put this one together

This car goes through warped rotors and calipers like crazy. The right rear caliper froze up and ended up costing me an entire 4-wheel brake job. A mechanic said that rear brakes shouldn't be replaced every single year. Well, I'm replacing that right rear one about every 6 months now so it doesn't foul up the rest of them.

While I have no proof, I believe the sticking caliper has caused transmission problems at least 3 times since 2001, including replacing the transmission twice. Presently, first gear is all but shot, and I refuse to replace the transmission a third time.

Currently, the car will start and then die when shifting to drive or reverse gear. The fuel pump has been replaced, and it still does the same thing.

It also chews up headlamps too. I replace headlamps twice a year.

I've always kept the engine oil changed regularly, did the tuneups when needed, changed fuel filters, PCV valves, air filters, etc. at least once per year.

The car has been very problematic. Now I know why someone else dumped it off with 96,000, only 5 years old. If I could afford a new one, I would have gotten rid of this one years ago.

Review Date: 26th April, 2010

29th Apr 2010, 17:17

Sad thing is, '96 was the last year of that particular model, so GM had plenty of time to get it right, just sloppy typical mid-90's craftsmanship. If you can find one in good shape, you should try out the early to mid-80's models Cutlass Supreme like I have; whole different animal (and that's exactly the point).

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Great car. Great looks and a great ride

Replaced intake gasket, replaced left rear strut and mounting. Now right rear strut & mount need to be replaced.

General Comments:

We love the car. It runs and drives like a new car, even with all of its miles.

Minor tune up and a set of tires, plus the rear strut issue, is all we've had go wrong.

Review Date: 11th April, 2010

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.1 V6 from North America

Summary:

Some issues, but good value

Rear brake caliper seized up.

Washer fluid tank leaks.

Intake manifold gasket leak.

General Comments:

Overall this car is a good deal. It's comfortable, smooth, quick enough. It is pretty reliable.

The biggest problem has been the intake manifold. GM made a bad choice in using plastic gaskets with their "Dex cool" brand antifreeze. It like to eat the gaskets. If you get one of these cars, take that stuff out and get normal yellow or green antifreeze to prevent this from happening.

Review Date: 8th February, 2010

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Very strong car

Brakes - Needs to have heavy duty brake pads and rotors. Rotors are best if vented.

Tires - needed new tires, heavy vehicle, but with the snow storms here I have not gotten stuck yet (don't use studded tires).

Head lights - Replace all head lights with high priced so it illuminates better about 90% better than what it had. You need a long needle nose to replace the lights - very difficult to remove and replace.

General Comments:

Only 2 thousands miles from me, and I just got back from a 250 mile trip to Philadelphia and back. This car didn't like to slow down once up to 70-75. Thought the cruise control was stuck, but it's just that the car is smooth and doesn't have much drag.

I can see that they alternator is new and there are new plugs and wires.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2009