1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Reviews - Page 2 of 2

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission Six Cylinder Automatic
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carSaturn SL

Horn: Stopped working the first year.

Alternator: Needed rebuilt at 60,000 miles.

Water pump: Replaced at 80,000 miles.

Heater/AC Switch: Rheostat (per dealer) needed replaced in 3rd year.

Tape Player: Combo AM/CM, CD, Cassette player: Ate a cassette. Won't give it back.

Gauges: Fuel gauge spun around all the way. Won't register. Dealer replacement cost: $400 for the cluster.

Brakes: Eats brakes constantly.

General Comments:

Without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. Fit and finish are mediocre at best. Quality of materials (leather seats) is on the cheap side.

A litany of components constantly going wrong or breaking. GM has beaten up its suppliers to the point that the product has been cheapened to the point of my having serious doubts about the company as a whole. I will not buy another GM product. Conversely, I have a 1991 Saturn that has more than twice as many miles and has given me nowhere near the hassles the Olds has.

Review Date: 12th August, 2002

11th Oct 2003, 16:38

That is not true! We have had two Cutlass Supremes a 1995 and a 1996. Both were excellent cars the 1995 had 125,000 miles on it when it was totaled and the 1996 we still have with 130,000 miles on it! I guess it depends on how well you maintain your cars. I would buy another Oldsmobile any day. We also had a 1992 Saturn SC2 since new and we had it religiously maintained and it blew an engine at 96,000 miles.

20th Dec 2003, 20:36

Just so you know, Saturn is a GM product, Saturns are GM's Haha.

24th Sep 2005, 14:57

I have a 97 Cutlass Supreme with about 105,000 miles on it. I am the second owner and the alternator has been replaced, not sure when, and I had to have an injector replaced. The oil has been changed every 3,000 miles and it uses about 1/2 qt. every 3000 miles. Its been a pretty good car and I am going to keep it as long as I can. I think the key to a good car is just proper maintenance and how you drive it.