1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Convertible 425 Cubic Inches from North America

Summary:

This automobile was an elegant time capsule of American engineering

An alternator bearing went out at about 60,000 miles.

The electric throttle position switch that controls the position of the stator blades in the torque converter went out at about 80,000 miles.

The convertible top needed replacing several times during my ownership. The car was not garaged, so I figure it was normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

The electric throttle position switch that controlled the stator blades in the automatic transmission was a good idea, in my opinion. It was designed to allow the transmission to "slip" when in "drive" with the driver's foot off the accelerator. This feature kept the car from creeping forward at a stop light. I actually could take my foot off the power brake at a red light, and the car would not move. Then, when the accelerator was pressed down even slightly, the stator blades in the converter would change pitch, and the car would take off with such response, it gave the impression that the car was very light, nimble and powerful, almost like a Corvette. Breakaway from standing stop was so responsive, I was forever "chirping" the rear tires effortlessly. One time a friend of mine drove the car and said, "You know, this car has the screaming meanies!"

I enjoyed this convertible for 15 years. During that time I added almost another 120,000 miles to the odometer.

One drawback was that the car usually only got 11 miles per gallon on the highway, even when I drove it conservatively. I remember getting 14 miles per gallon one time, on a long, flat road. But back then, gas was only 30 or 35 cents a gallon, so this wasn't a big deal to me. It had a 26-gallon tank.

With the top down and all shined up, it really turned a lot of heads. I went on a lot of moonlight drives under the clear New Mexico skies with this car.

Review Date: 3rd May, 2005

1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 HC 7.1 liter - High Compresion from North America

Summary:

Family car with an attitude problem

Battery had to be replaced due to heavy corrosion.

All spark plugs and wires were replaced due to the engine missing heavily.

4 new tires as the old bias ply tires' side walls cracked.

Has serious trouble starting in cold.

Exhaust system rusted off, requiring a new system front to back.

General Comments:

This car is all that is American steel.

It handles like its on ice.

Everyone thought I was crazy when I bought my "beast", but I quickly showed them wrong. As even the best cars my friends had could not keep up with the "beast".

The interior and exterior are in amazing shape. Especially considering the car is over 35 years old.

The amount of features put in cars of that time is crazy even by today's standards.

Rack and pinion steering is weird at first, but so smooth as you learn it.

Review Date: 16th April, 2003

17th Apr 2003, 00:30

Very nice.

My family used to have an old 67 delta. That thing is a tank.

You should come try to take on my car.:D Good luck.

I agree those old boats can't turn on a tonie let alone a dime.

21st Jun 2004, 17:24

Rack and pinion steering would be really weird on this car, since it didn't come with it...

8th Sep 2004, 23:22

The car is a boat, but is an awesome cruising car. I have had it for 25 years and don't plan on getting rid of it none to soon. right now I'm in the middle of restoring it to the original condition that it came in.

4th Feb 2005, 11:39

I own a 1967 delta 88, and boy do I love that car. Yes it is a real big boat on the road. I am shocked at all the conveniences it has. Power windows, power seats, and more. The car is easy to work on because it is so big and has lost of space. But the down side is the parts are a real pain to find. It drives real smooth, like it's just floating across air on the road. And when needed, it has power that amazes all. A grade A++ car.