1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0 350 V8 from North America

Summary:

Powerful, well built, all American!

Needed new plug wires and an oil change, but that's about it.

General Comments:

My 78 Delta 88 was passed down to me from my grandfather. I love this car! It takes me wherever I want.

I can smoke a little Honda Civic easily. Those other compact cars don't stand a chance in the world ha ha.

Review Date: 4th March, 2010

7th Mar 2010, 12:00

I'm jealous. I've owned 2 of these classic Olds Delta 88 and and 98 Regency cars myself of the same vintage, and wish I'd never parted company with them. There is not a new car on the market today that will match up to the quality, looks, "personality", and feel of this classic car. Hang onto it forever if you can!

The 350 is a 5.7 liter by the way, the 5.0 is their Olds 307. Yours likely has the 350 due to year of manufacture. In the early 80's they switched to the 5.0L 307 for fuel economy.

1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Coup 350 from North America

Summary:

Never buy an Oldsmobile

Power antenna at 60,000 miles.

Cruise control at 50,000 miles.

Complete exhaust system at 40,000.

Replaced fan in a/c blower four times.

Starter replaced at 90,000 miles.

Transmission seal at 85,000 miles.

Dimmer switch at 87,000 miles.

Hood release cable at 110,000.

Carburetor rebuild at 85,000.

A/C clutch broke at 150,000.

Water pump at 90,000.

Ignition failure at 110,000.

General Comments:

The car was purchased used from the original owner. Car was only two years old with few miles on it, from a neighbor.

This was a very good riding car.

Many parts on the car just did not last and lots of money was spent on the car for repairs, even when the car had relatively low miles.

The car got horrible gas mileage.

The cabin was luxurious and comfortable.

After having this car, I vowed never to own another Oldsmobile and have kept my word to this day.

Review Date: 9th December, 2007

11th Dec 2007, 15:00

"Water pump at 90,000."

- Excellent amount of mileage for that! And everything else as well!

12th Dec 2007, 21:36

I don't know that this was such terrible service from a car of that era. In the 1970's it was a big deal to go 100,000 miles and people didn't put more than a few thousand miles per year on a car because they didn't do all the long-distance commuting that they do now. Also, I remember that all cars had rusty mufflers and tailpipes back in those days. If it lasted 40,000 miles, which was probably six years, that was pretty good. Ditto for the carburetor -- if it went 85,000 miles that was probably 10 years.

I bought a '67 Chrysler Newport with 90,000 miles when it was 26 years old (yes, average 3,500 miles per year), and it also desperately needed new plugs, wires, a carburetor rebuild, new light and dimmer switch, and other little work. When I knocked that all out, it was a great running car again.

Oldsmobile made some good cars. My family had a '69 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight that was a real luxury cruiser, though my dad blew the transmission by throwing it in gear and racing the engine after it had sat all winter, without letting the fluid warm up and circulate.

26th Dec 2008, 20:49

In 1993 my dad bought a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale for 200 dollars. I got the car when I was 16 and that car was the best car and I still have it. If those problems are something to complain about, then my 10 year old Mazda must need to be junked. Most newer cars have worse problems. Oldsmobile would come back if they did it right and brought back the old designs.

30th Dec 2009, 22:03

Dude, It's a 1978 Olds. I don't care how many miles are on it, it's 30 years old. Bottom line, other than little things, it sounds like it's been a good car.

I also have a 1978 Olds, and I have had to replace similar stuff as well. I did it all myself, and nothing cost me more than a $100.

The fuel pump for my 98 Chevy truck cost me $300 dollars for just the part, and I changed that too.

I have nothing to say but Olds is a hell of a car, and for its era, well worth buying.

1st Jan 2010, 12:42

'For its era'? The '78 Olds Delta 88 is better than anything made today.

14th Aug 2010, 11:32

That's why they call it automobile maintenance. I have a 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale with over 125,000 miles. It runs like a new one, or better in some cases. Maintenance is the "KEY".