1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 403ci from North America

Year of manufacture1978
Engine and transmission 403ci Automatic
Previous carPontiac Parisienne

Summary:

I love this car!!

The only thing that has gone wrong with this car was the water pump, but it was due anyway. It was only $50 to replace. The car is simple to own.

General Comments:

I bought the car for $200 from a 93 year old man 9 months ago. This car is the best thing I have ever bought, it goes anywhere. I have driven the car from Kelowna British Columbia, down to Montgomery Alabama, and I am driving it back to Kelowna soon.

Review Date: 25th February, 2004

4th Mar 2005, 20:46

A 403 powered 88, now that's what I like to hear!

1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday 88 350 cid 4bbl from North America

Year of manufacture1978
First year of ownership1985
Engine and transmission 350 cid 4bbl Automatic
Previous carDodge Shadow

Not much has gone wrong with this car since 1985.

Last December, the spindle on the front driver's side wheel broke. The only thing holding the wheel on was the brake assembly. Luckily, I was only going about 25 mph on a small two lane dirt road. Don't think this was a reliability problem. Probably just a freak accident where the grease in the inner bearing melted, causing the rotor to "weld" to the spindle.

The engine was overhauled at 196,000 miles, but I made sure that the original heads were used.

Other than that, the usual parts like a new air conditioning compressor and alternator.

I've also noticed that the cruise control modulator seems to freeze up very often, keeping the speedometer from working. Even one from the junk yard off a car with low miles doesn't take long to break. This was actually replaced when the car was brand new, and I've had to replace it three times in the last two years.

General Comments:

This is a Holiday 88 model with bucket seats, sport steering wheel, center console, and Rallye wheels. Very sporty for a two door tank. I also found out when the motor was rebuilt that it has over-sized valves and seats from the factory (I guess part of the Holiday 88 package).

This 350 has great low-end pull and does not run out of steam at high speeds.

And, it's so comfortable with a smooth ride.

Like others have said, the car is very reliable with cheap parts, and it is simple to repair.

Review Date: 17th October, 2003

5th Sep 2007, 10:31

This was my first car that I started driving when I turned 15. Talk about indestructible. The only thing we ever had to do is replace the tranny and a thermostat went out on it once, giving me frostbite on my right foot on the drive home from the floor vents on a -15 degree day. Now, keep in mind this car was the $200 car the kid's dad gets him and it had already been ridden hard and left in the field outside the shop to die. This would have been somewhere around 1988. Still, the thing endured extreme torture. It saw the speedo buried well past the 85 mph mark many times and the engine never once complained. Gravel road rallying was also a favorite. One of my favorite features in the car was how there were 5 ashtrays for the rear seats alone. 1 on the back of each bucket seat, 1 at the back of the center console and 1 on each armrest. Now that's some heavy duty smoking! Also, the bucket seats pushed really far forward, creating a virtual couch in the back for those warm summer nights. Mine was a cream/tan color.

17th Aug 2008, 14:23

I have a Holiday and it's a gorgeous car. Runs great!! It only has 68k on it and its in mint condition. I hear there very rare and I can't find any info on it. I took it to a car show and a few people were amazed at the condition being it is all original. Any idea where I can get some info and about how much are they worth???

9th Dec 2008, 14:11

Any idea how many Holiday 88's were made in 1978???

8th Feb 2010, 19:50

I bought my 78 Holiday new. It was Light Camel Beige with Camel Tan interior. I had always wanted a Cutlass with buckets and counsel. But "78" was the first year for the Cutlass downsizing. I'm a big man and found the Cutlass too tight. The salesman suggested I try an 88 Holiday; after all, it offered what I was looking for. As soon as I sat down in the seat, I knew the Holiday is what I wanted. After driving, it just reinforced the fact that the Holiday was it.

One of my friends had recently purchased a "77" Corvette. I forget how it came about, but we raced one day, and to my astonishment I stayed right beside him up to around 70 when we let off. My friend couldn't believe that a big old man's car like my Holiday could stay even with his Corvette. It wasn't just a one time exception. I knew that I had an exceptionally well running Oldsmobile 350, but not until I just read above about bigger valves being put into the Holidays did I figure out why.

9th Feb 2010, 09:20

To the poster of 8th Feb 2010, 19:50:

The Olds 350 is a much better engine than a lot of automotive writers would have you believe.