1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Reviews

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham 3.8L from North America

First year of ownership1993
Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Previous carBuick Century

Summary:

500,000 miles and still going strong!

Paint Faded

Holes in the cloth seats

Air conditioner recharged

Power Antenna replaced

Head Gasket replaced

Brake lines replaced

All four window motors replaced.

General Comments:

I love this car. It's got almost 500,000 miles and still going strong! I wouldn't trade this car for anything. Runs like new. A+ car.

Review Date: 15th November, 2008

22nd Aug 2010, 23:42

Wow... 500,000 miles huh? Mine has about 120,000 on the body with a rebuilt motor with only about 5000! Looks like I will have this car for a while... I just have to fix it up now...

23rd Aug 2010, 09:22

"500,000 miles and still going strong!"

- You're joking, of course.

23rd Aug 2010, 13:01

One does see a lot of these cars about with 250-300,000 miles on them. I find it pretty believable that the 3800 would last 500,000 if the oil were changed occasionally (pre 1994 version only of course).

It is rare nowadays that you can find them though - rust having taken its toll. They're only uni-body cars, so they aren't as durable as the older full-sized car.

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham 3.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8 V6 Automatic

Summary:

This would have been a great car if it had been used more, and more features worked

The driver's side window got stuck in the middle -- I didn't fix it, but was able to close it up permanently.

Driver's side rear window stopped working as well.

Front axles needed to be replaced.

Power antenna didn't stop running -- had to pull the fuse out to shut it off.

Stalled out frequently.

Power locks switches did not work.

Dashboard idiot lights did not all function correctly.

General Comments:

I bought this car for 600 dollars when I got my driver's license. This car had only 55700 original miles -- I bought it from the original owner's grand daughter. The grand daughter drove it for a bit when her nana went into assisted living, and then I bought it.

I put about 5000 miles on it during the course of three months.

Nothing on the car worked correctly -- mainly the electronics.

Although it was difficult to start in the morning and frequently stalled, it only left me stranded once.

The car was rather comfortable -- the seats were very worn (they were leather), so I usually threw a towel on the seat.

I could seat six people in it comfortably.

Unfortunately, the engine blew on the interstate when I was coming home one day. Apparently, the radiator was leaking and the car didn't have any coolant in it (the check coolant light NEVER came on). The car didn't have a temperature gauge, and I didn't know it was overheating until it was too late.

This car had many problems with it, but kept on chugging. If the car had been used slightly more, I might have had a better chance. But I have no complaints with the car considering it was so old, and never left me stranded when I went out of state or down to the beach. If you can find one of these tanks in good shape, go for it--they're built very well.

Review Date: 1st November, 2007

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale from North America

Previous carPlymouth Horizon

Summary:

This is a great solid, well put together classy car with power to boot

Minor annoying things have gone wrong with this car. The most annoying is that the arm rests are very loose and almost falling off. The wipers work most of the time, but has "fits" sometimes. The power seat is very sluggish, so we unplugged it. We are replacing the front power window lift motor, it still works, but is very slow. We replaced the battery right after we bought it, and it always starts.

General Comments:

The car is very fast, if you are going 65 mph, and step on the gas, it will take off. It's fun in that respect to drive it.

The car is plain, it's hard to see it as a sporty car, although I have heard it referred to as a "sleeper", because it is quick and fast. It does seem like it should belong to a old Grandpa, mine did, and was a one owner and that is why mine is in such good condition. I wish it was anything, but blue, my last three cars were blue! I am tired of blue!

It is big, roomy and comfy to drive. I paid $600 for mine, and I feel like I got a lot for my money, a real feeling of quality and a solid expensive car. The sort of car one is not embarrassed to give someone a ride in.

Review Date: 10th May, 2007

11th May 2007, 18:51

"The car is very fast, if you are going 65 mph, and step on the gas, it will take off."

- You can't be serious. This is a 20 year old hooptie!

13th May 2007, 12:18

How does being a 20 year old hoopty prevent the car from being fast? Obviously it does not. Anyway the older cars are much better than the newer ones.