1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Sedan 3.8V6 from North America

Summary:

This is definitely"Your Grandmom's Oldsmobile"

Nothing to speak of!

General Comments:

When I got this car off of my mother-in-law who was 89 years old at the time last year, the car was in tip top shape. I got it for free! It had the orginal light blue metallic paint that still looked like new. The navy blue interior looked absolutely marvelous. It even had all 4 of its original factory wire wheel covers that looked like brand new, that were still on the car!

Basically, my mother-in-law kept the car in the heated garage at all times. She never, ever drove it during the winter months. Yes, the car was properly maintained to perfection.

When I got it, it was recently inspected, all of the fluids were changed, and all of the tires were checked as well. All 4 of the tires were like a year old at the time. Now that I have it, the same rule applies as to how the car will be kept. It will always be garage kept all of its life with me and my wife.

The car has all of the power buttons in it. The seats are ever so comfy! The trunk? Just big.

We recently took my mother-in-law out to dinner for her 90th birthday in the car that she loved big time. Her jaw dropped when she saw how beautifully kept the car still is. And yes, the car runs just like it did back when my mother-in-law got it back in 1987.

Do we plan on getting rid of the car? Absolutely no way in the world would we even think of doing so. And no way will our kids drive the car. It's in our hands, and will always be maintained to perfection big time!

Yes we would highly recommend buying one of these cars. Just look for one that was treated like a queen like this one was. If so, you will have it for a good long time.

Review Date: 6th September, 2006

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham 3.8 from North America

Summary:

This is a fine car. I would buy another

1. The harmonic balancer on the engine went twice. This was a $US200 bill for each occurrence. No one I have ever talked with had this problem on any of the GM 3.8 liter engines.

2. The original air conditioning compress burned out at about 120,000 kilometers . A $600 replacement was faulty and lasted only a few months. The second replacement, under warranty lasted another six months. The repair shop had gone out of business; ergo no chance of a third warranty replacment. I replaced the second one with a used compressor from a wrecker at $25. Once re-charged, this one worked fine as long as I owned the car.

3. The winter salt started to win the battle and a few rust spots appeared on the lower doors and under the trunk.

General Comments:

It is important to keep the brakes as close to factory specifications as practical. Brake parts such as calipers, pads and shoes were very inexpensive and can be changed with minimum effort.

A fine car with lots of power, style, comfort and room.

Handling is fine. Especially keeping the tires up the factory specified 35 pounds. A lot of shops seem to standardize on 32.

Review Date: 12th January, 2005

14th Jan 2005, 20:13

I've experienced the harmonic balancer failure twice with the GM 3800 engine. First was my '89 Delta 88 then my '88 Delta 88. It's quite annoying as it causes the engine the make a racket and the bolt is hard to remove.

30th Mar 2009, 19:28

The harmonic balancer center portion is just press fitted into the outer ring. Take the balancer out and have the center brazed (not welded) to the outer ring. It will never give you problems again..