2001 Peugeot 206 Reviews - Page 4 of 11

2001 Peugeot 206 LX 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001

Summary:

Looks nice, but is ultimately a bit rubbish!

Bought the car second hand, as a relatively cheap runaround for my partner. So far nothing big has gone wrong, although we have noticed a surprising number of poor build quality issues.

For a relatively new car the passenger door creaks like a car 10 times its age.

The wiper actually fouls the bodywork due to slop in the linkage (the nuts are all tight, it's just badly built)

It started leaking water into the passenger footwell as the plastic membrane behind the door card had 'unstuck' itself. An easy fix with some duct tape!

The engine also makes a disconcerting 'ticking noise' at low speeds, which sounds like a loose heat shield or similar. It's not the injectors, and it clears as the revs rise, so it's a case of keeping an ear out for it getting any worse.

The gearchange is more notchy than I'd have expected too.

General Comments:

We took the car for a couple of test drives on separate occasions, but it's only after living with the car that we're finding it's shortcomings.

If I'd known how thrown together this car was I'd have never even considering buying one. It's by no means a bad car, just built poorly with cheap materials.

The MPG is not as good as I'd have expected from such a light car.

It goes OK, but the disappointingly rough engine note dissuades the driver from exploring the rev range.

Finally the seating position is dreadful and impossible to find a comfy angle. Once you get it relatively correct you lose the setting as soon as you let someone in the back (it's a 3-door).

We'll be selling it soon and getting something German!

Review Date: 6th April, 2005

7th Apr 2005, 04:24

Hi, did you find out what the ticking noise in the 206 was?i have this exact noise and its quite annoying, Peugeot told me it was the injectors, but I have my doubts.

Many Thanks for any advice.

14th Nov 2005, 12:24

That noise is the engine fan kicking in I've been told.

3rd Sep 2006, 04:11

I've just brought my 206 8 weeks ago and already having problems. I have ticking, creaking door, loose back of seat, stalling (which is a recall issue with the ignition coil and plugs), brakes softening and hardening which has caused me to nearly crash twice (this is the rear compensator and servo!) just waiting for it to be fixed with 4 broken promises by the garage I brought it from. I'm beginning to regret this car... the dealer won't take it back either. I wouldn't get another 206 again!

2nd Mar 2007, 03:45

I've had EXACTLY the same issues with my 206 - Creaking doors, ticking at low RPM, nasty gearchange, leaking door membrane. The car's been faultlessly reliable, but definitely doesn't instill confidence!

2001 Peugeot 206 LX 1.4cc from Dominican Republic

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 1.4cc Manual
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

It's a unreliable car don't buy (High Cost Maintenance)

The engine started giving problems at 3,000 KM.

The interior light blew at 15,000 KM.

The Odometer stopped working at 32,000 KM.

The right door jammed at 42,000 KM.

General Comments:

The handling of the car is good, very comfortable for its class I think this is the only positive thing that the car has. Let's go with the bad things 1) the maintenance of the car is way too expensive. 2) The customer service is really bad in Dominican Republic in addition to that they charge too much for all the services and parts (Compare to other car concessionary). 3) Gas consumption to high for its engine.

Review Date: 13th March, 2005

2001 Peugeot 206 XSi 1.6 petrol 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.6 petrol 16v Manual
Most recent distance19000 miles
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

Good car, nice handling warm hatch.

No major problems with the car so far.

Passenger front seat mechanism broke and was replaced under dealer warranty.

Door seal was replaced under dealer warranty as whistling was experienced at over 80mph. Fine now.

Brake fault while driving the car hard. Both brake warning lights and ABS warning came on, ABS turned off. After engine was turned off and back on again lights were gone and ABS worked, took to dealer and engine computer fault codes were cleared, no problems since.

General Comments:

The car has nice performance from a standard 1.6 engine, however high engine speeds are required to achieve this performance. Certainly good for only group 8 insurance.

Suspension is firm - but not uncomfortable. This gives the car reasonably responsive handling. Handling is fairly safe, under-steers slightly in the wet when turning in (aggressive driving), but most of the time under extreme driving I experience some safe progressive over-steer (not particularly twitchy).

Seat adjustment is a negative point, it has a adjustment in increments rather than continuous, for my preference the setting I would prefer sits in the middle of two settings.

Review Date: 1st December, 2004