2005 Peugeot 206 S Estate 1.4 diesel from UK and Ireland

Good space, comfort and economy

Got the car with a power steering fault.

Nothing else so far.

General Comments:

Great little estate, very economical.

There's a rattle coming from the front end, I think it's the brake pads, time will tell.

Review Date: 19th August, 2016

2005 Peugeot 206 GTi 2.0 180 BHP from UK and Ireland

Underpowered heap of plastic junk

Purchased 2 days ago and had nothing but trouble with it... if I had got it from someone closer I'd have taken it back. As it is I cannot return it, so will be getting rid of it ASAP.

Firstly the harsh ride got worse as the miles went by, accompanied by the thing trying to put me in the bushes when going over bumpy road surfaces. This along with the rear hatch banging about really got on my wick.

The gearbox appears to me like stirring soup and you can easily take it out of gear with no force needed... in fact on some potholes along the way it actually did it itself.

Then as I leaned back the whole seat collapsed and sent me flying backwards and almost killed myself trying to keep it in a straight line while lying down in the back. The height adjuster does not work and the whole seat appears loose.

The car was given a fresh MOT, but seems to me a little underhanded deal has gone on between the tester and the dealer, as the ride quality and stability in what's supposed to be a hot hatch is in my opinion dangerous.

Also once home I noted several advisories that I'm wondering could be the cause of said suspension and stability issues... top strut mounts seized, ball joints worn, and offside wheel bearing.

General Comments:

Not what I thought it would be... the engine lacks take off power, but is quite nippy mid range when above 3500RPM... seems slower than my Vectra SRi.

Very cheap and tacky interior trim.

Not yet checked the air con as all we need to do in this neck of the woods if we want to freeze is open the window... will check this if it ever sunshines.

All in all a total waste of money... wish I'd bought an A4 Audi for the same money.

Review Date: 21st February, 2016

22nd Feb 2016, 08:57

When somebody buys a 205000 km automobile without any knowledge of how the car was treated and serviced, and apparently without trying it out, he should not blame the car but himself. By the way, an Audi A4 of this age should cost at "little bit" more than a Peugeot 206, meaning you were moreover been ripped off.

25th Feb 2016, 19:04

Well drop a thousand pounds into it and you will have a nice car!

2005 Peugeot 206 5 door hatch 1.6 from Chile

Delighted with the purchase, will keep servicing it and using it

Small incidental things.

General Comments:

Has been a reliable and economical car. Bought new and delighted with it.

Mainly used for local travel, an occasional - 4 times a year 400 km round trip. One faultless 5000 km 4 week trip.

Two of us use it. I am 1.81m, and with the driver's seat back it's very comfortable, but can carry 4 reasonably.

Bodywork excellent. Always think it's a good looking car.

Review Date: 14th December, 2015

2005 Peugeot 206 Sport 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

Not bad, interior a little cheap

New alternator.

New battery.

New front brake disks.

Other than that, nothing wrong.

General Comments:

Good car, has an MPG display, and it is possible to get 50mpg, which for a 10.9 sec car is fantastic.

It is only 'sport' in looks, if you want an affordable quick car, can I suggest the 1.6 SXI?

Review Date: 26th February, 2011

2005 Peugeot 206 s 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Uncomfortable driving position and not as fun to drive as other Peugeot's

No major items, just usual tires and brake pads.

General Comments:

This is my company car and I drive many miles, as part of my job, in it every day. I must say that this car is fairly uncomfortable. It is down to the driving position; there is little room for your legs (I am 6ft) and the steering wheel is too far to reach (only height adjustable) when you have adjusted the seat properly for your legs. The pedals are very small and close together- I was revving the engine whilst braking when I first got the car! The seats are fairly basic, but reasonably supportive. I wouldn't recommend buying this car if you regularly want to travel long distances.

The 8v 1.4 isn't especially quick (75bhp), but it is nippy enough around town- up to about 50mph- and is quick off the mark. The brakes aren't great and the pedal needs quite a lot of input. Steering is fine, if a little light, however the car does under steer quite badly when pushed.

I have owned a number of Peugeot's and VW's in the past, as with all my previous Peugeot's the cabin isn't especially well designed and the quality is lacking compared to a German marque, but usually the Pug has made up for this by being fun handling and pleasant to look at (205 or 306). Unfortunately, the 206 isn't much fun. Although the looks aren't all that bad.

I feel a bit unfair on the 206, as it isn't really designed for the millage I need to use it for. As a first time run-about or little town car, it's probably fine; easy to park, cheap to buy and fix, looks pleasant enough, loud stereo, fairly economical and can do the odd long journey- it cruises well enough at 80mph, it's just very noisy. But I can't recommend it for many motor way miles and it seriously disappoints as a drivers car compared to past Peugeot's.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2007

14th Sep 2009, 17:05

Yes as an owner I agree with this review.