2004 Peugeot 307 Reviews

Year of manufacture2004
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.0 diesel 90 BHP Manual
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Poor, but cheaper to fix than the other models

Antipollution faults; on my third since owning it.

Excessive tyre wear on the front tyres. They don't last long, I don't wheel spin, and it is only 90 BHP.

Very poor MPG. Lucky to get 40 MPG; you can get petrols that can achieve this. So why they made this model, I don't know. If you're not going to get 50 MPG or more from a diesel, it's not worth having.

General Comments:

I rushed into buying this car, because 3 cars back I owned a 306, and it was reliable and did 60 MPG, so I did limited research. Peugeot claimed 50 something MPG, however I didn't realise that their testing is conducted in a vacuum without air resistance. Very practical for interstellar travel, but the figures are not very helpful for driving on Earth. Anyway, you're lucky to get 40 to 41 MPG, which for a diesel is poor.

This car eats tyres; they only last half their expected life. I do not wheel spin and this car is never going to break any speed records (0 to 60 in 11 or 13 seconds). Apparently the excessive tyre wear is a common fault and an expensive one.

I have had 3 antipollution faults since purchasing the car. My first was the EGR it turned out, having spent loads on other solutions, because this fault can be a lot of things. Second one, changed the EGR unit, which like everything on this car is placed in an inaccessible, labour intensive place; needed to lift the engine up to get to the part. I am now experiencing my third, and am awaiting diagnostic testing and possible financial Armageddon to fix it.

On a positive note, this model is the cheapest to fix out of all the other 307 models, and has less fancy parts to go wrong. I changed my clutch for 400 pounds. Any other model is 900 to 1000, as you need to change dual fly mass and other parts. My model has solid fly wheel, and the other parts are external on my gear box. Any other model, they are in the clutch and need to be replaced.

To conclude, I am very disappointed with this car. I don't mind losing performance for cheaper motoring costs, but 40 MPG is poor. Poor performance, planned obsolescence; nothing on this car is designed to last. It seems it is designed to be constantly needing sensors and labour intensive work with very expensive parts, which to be fair it's only a Peugeot; hardly a premium brand. It will be the last French car I will ever own.

Review Date: 5th March, 2013

2004 Peugeot 307 Hatchback 1.6 from Jamaica

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2004
Most recent distance52000 kilometres

Summary:

Great car, with too many electrical flaws

My 2005 Peugeot 307 nearly killed me on Saturday Dec. 4, 2010. 3 times in the day, the car jumped forward violently, and then I got the warning automatic gear fault. Turned off the car, and it was ready to go again.

The 3rd time, I was at a traffic light, and when I pull down the hand brake, the car wouldn't move despite my flooring the gas pedal. Turned off the car, and I was off running smoothly. Having ignored all that warning, the car came after my life. I was in the drive thru at KFC, hand brake up, and when the cars started moving, I put down the handbrake and the car jumped violently into the back of a car. Then picked up speed. I thought I was on the gas, shifted my foot, and realized that I was on the brakes initially, but the car kept going. I tried driving it into the wall to keep from hitting any car. Eye witnesses reported hearing the gear revving at a high pitch while the tires squealed with the brakes failing.

2 CARS smashed, KFC Mic and sign damaged, the 307 came to a rest with damage to the front radiator etc. It is a miracle I am alive and no one else is hurt. I had brought it into the dealer the day before to replace the failed horn. They suggested coming back on Monday to sort out the automatic gear fault. Except Saturday night and the accident came before Monday

General Comments:

I love the car. Handles nicely, is chic, great boot size for an entrepreneur.

Wonderful car, but not worth the risk.

Review Date: 8th December, 2010