1990 Peugeot 309 Look 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It is a pleasure to own!

When I bought the car it had been sitting behind a garage for two years without being started.

I paid £127 pounds for it via ebay

It required a small piece of petrol pipe, a new headlight (which was supplied by the owner) and a new outer CV gator. I also treated it to a service. Plugs. Oil etc. Even the battery was fine once I charged it.

After I did this work I gave the car a good clean and polish. It came up like new!

I took it for MOT and it flew through!

NOTHING has gone wrong with this car since I've owned it and it starts on the button every time!

General Comments:

So simple to work on... Good old fashioned car.

Excellent on fuel.

No rust anywhere.

Fantastic performance from a 1.3.

Great exhaust sound due to the standard exhaust having only one box at the rear.

It gives amazing performance from its 1294cc engine!

The car handles like a dream with excellent ride quality!

Review Date: 21st April, 2008

23rd Apr 2008, 06:37

I owned one of these cars new from 1987 to 1994 and everything you say about them is true, it was truly a joy to own and drive with just servicing cost and MOT to pay out. I did 40000 miles from new and did not need new tyres or brake pads during all of that time - fantastic car.

James.

1990 Peugeot 309 Magnum 1.4 petrol from Slovenia

Summary:

The car I'll never forget

Just normal wear and tear.

Front brake pads and disks replaced, minor works on steering mechanism done, back shock absorbers replaced, new cooling system tubes, new battery. Some minor faults maybe, but fixed by myself in a couple of minutes. Extremely reliable car.

General Comments:

That was the best car I've ever had. Beautiful, with excellent fuel economy, reliable, easy to drive and handle, with good acceleration and decent long-distance average speed. It was also quite comfortable and spacious for its size.

I would still be owning it, but unfortunately I had an accident when a careless driver took my priority and it had to go to the junk... In little more than one year I'd done 30.000 kilometres with it, but on 270.000 km of base! It took me around a great part of Europe.

The first owner told me that the clutch was never replaced! 300.000 kilometres with the original clutch. And it was still OK! He replaced the alternator and the cooler at 200.000!

At the end, the car started to overheat a little and I planned to replace a head gasket soon... but it's normal for that age and mileage. Unfortunately, the accident overtook me... I was planning to keep that car even after purchasing a new one, to become an oldie. I'm still sad because of the accident. I'll never have the car like that any more.

Review Date: 25th July, 2006

1990 Peugeot 309 LOOK 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A spectacular First Car! Buy one while you can!

Needed new choke cable about 18 months ago.

Glove box door has broken (a common fault on the 309 I've been told)

Very occasionally gets a fuel starvation problem and refuses to start, had to call out the R.A.C. once to sort this out, the guy showed us how to start it (remove air box and start with somebody's hand over the throat of the carb!) She always starts first time after that!

(Touch wood, she hasn't does it so far this year!)

General Comments:

Well, this was my mothers car, and the car I'm learning to drive it, and I love it.

It's still got the original battery under the bonnet (Charged week 48 '91!)

Parts are very cheap (Especially as I work for Motaquip!) But seriously at retail they are still very reasonable.

Strange for a car this "new" to have a manual choke. But that doesn't really bother me.

Nips a long quite happily.

Plenty of space in the back (enough for a drum kit, two guitars and amps!)

Only small point, the car does seem to wonder around the road by its own accord, again I've been told that this is common with 309's.

Review Date: 9th October, 2003