1994 Peugeot 405 Reviews

First year of ownership1996
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Most recent distance200200 miles

Summary:

Most reliable and cheap to run car that I have ever owned. Wish they still made them

Normal long wear items: Water pump at 120K miles.

Sun roof slide failed, passenger window guide failed, rear wiper intermittent due to earthing - all minor and non essential, and not related to motoring reliability.

Clutch has periods when it appears to be weak - but it's the original, and it's on 200K miles.

General Comments:

The most I have ever spent on maintenance was £180 for the water pump, timing belt and pulley. It's just SO reliable (the XUD engine is the key).

All other maintenance I have done myself (during 12 years); bottom ball joints, brake cylinders, discs, 1 exhaust, brake pipes etc. Annual servicing usually costs me £30 total.

Galvanised, so has never failed an MOT due to bodywork or need for welding etc.

Now past the 200K mark, I want this car to go on forever. It has a huge carry space and the rear springs can take it, even when filled with paving slabs! I bought an 07 BMW 318D to placate my wife and kids, as they worry about image and being in the 21st Century - but I continue to drive my old white, more fuel efficient, low running cost 405.

I got my older kids to buy 306's with the same XUD engine, but they have trouble with rear beams and drums, and front suspension components and disc wear (all replaced by me), but the engine on 170K (as expected) delivers no problems...

We rely so much on this car as a workhorse, and never bat an eyelid at the prospect of a 350 mile round trip to collect or deliver bulky items.

I wish they were still in production. It was so difficult trying to decide what to buy to replace it - I hope that won't happen for a good few years yet. To try to find a car with low cost maintenance and high end reliability is going to be a challenge. I worry about the fibre optics in the later Peugeot's, and overall they don't seem to have the same reliability tag. I indicated that I would buy from the manufacturer again, but at the moment, I would only buy another 405 XUD estate!

Review Date: 6th January, 2012

1994 Peugeot 405 Mi16 from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance82000 kilometres
Previous carPeugeot 405

Summary:

A class handling act

Minor radiator leak when purchased, so new radiator immediately fitted.

Minor leak to boot - tail light removed and re-sealed.

General Comments:

Mint condition, except bonnet stone chips and mediocre repair to drivers door. Proper repair and re-spray to be done in Feb 2010.

Superb seats (cloth), steering, ride and handling. Performance very good, but only with plenty of revs. With the right road ie. twisty but not long/steep hills, the driving experience is amazing for a car of such age.

Only down size is mid-range punch, which is weaker than my previous two 2 litre 405 STI's. But that is really nit-picking.

Very grunty air-con. (Series 2 NZ cars were Aussie spec).

I prefer gear change of STI's, which were meatier, smooth and perhaps more robust. I love the alloys, which are far better looking that the smaller 14 inch STI version with silly centre plates.

In summary, I love to drive this car on my own, and enjoy its open road performance and in particular, handling.

Review Date: 6th January, 2010