1993 Plymouth Acclaim Reviews

First year of ownership1998
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 3.0L Automatic
Distance when acquired72000 miles

Summary:

Nice car

I couldn't blame the car for having problems due to its age.

91,000 miles, A/C stopped working.

97,000 miles, knocking noise coming from the engine; turns out it was a blown rod.

109,000 miles, blown head gasket.

115,000 miles, windshield wipers stopped working on high.

134,000 miles, needed a new muffler.

General Comments:

I think that the Plymouth Acclaim is a very good, family sized sedan.

I wish they never discontinued these cars; they were pretty reliable. They're comfortable for long distance driving, have great steering, great acceleration, great turning radius, and nice interior styling.

Review Date: 21st March, 2012

1993 Plymouth Acclaim base model 2.5 four cylinder. from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 2.5 four cylinder. Automatic

Summary:

Durable, Smooth, Simple. The way a car should be

Just the usual maintenance: Oil, tires, etc.

When battery gets low, engine idle can get too low, causing the car to stumble.

General Comments:

The car rides pretty smooth and gets excellent traction in the snow thanks to the heavy cast iron motor over the front wheels.

The 2.5L and automatic tranny make for effortless and economical power, while still feeling fairly quick.

This car is built like a tank, and will tow a good amount of weight with no problem. It will tow a 16ft. aluminum boat without losing speed, even going uphill.

Since this car has only 49,000 miles on it, I can't accurately state its reliability, but you can tell this car is built to last.

Overall, If you want a durable, practical, and economical car that's not boring to drive, the Acclaim just might be the car for you.

Review Date: 13th March, 2007

14th Mar 2007, 11:30

I just wish I could find one of these with only 50,000 miles on it! How much did you pay?

19th Mar 2007, 08:25

I believe the car was $11,000 new, but when we bought it used at 49,000 miles, we paid $7,000 (At least I think, we bought it in 95').

4th Jun 2007, 16:25

This quite a coincidence, but I was just given a 93 acclaim with 49,ooo miles. garaged, but I do see some antifreeze leaking out a pipe, and the belts, or perhaps one, is squealing. Here is the price list of my last 6 cars...

Free, free, $300. $500. free, and now, again, free.

I would call it- the grace.

1993 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L TBI from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L TBI Automatic

Engine block and head were cracked when I got it, replaced engine.

Transmission blew apart, Replaced at the same time as the engine.

Needs some body work.

The trunk leaks sometimes.

Front struts replaced.

General Comments:

Got the car for free, and got a rebuilt engine and transmission for free.

This is my first car. Very comfortable seats, lots of head room for tall people like myself.

I think it's a good looking car, but kind of boxy,

The 2.5 is very reliable and has lots of power. It has never left me on the side of the road. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and runs very good. I know for sure I will have this car for many years to come!

Review Date: 23rd August, 2006

1993 Plymouth Acclaim 1.5 from North America

Year of manufacture1993

Summary:

The car is utter crap and wasn't worth it

Battery Died.

Blew the head gasket.

The cylinder head is warped.

Engine overheats.

The car leaks water and anti-freeze.

General Comments:

This is the worst car I've ever been in. I paid $900 and it really was not worth it.

The car isn't even drivable. I've had it for about 3 months and I've only been able to drive it about 1 of those months!

If you're trying to find a cheap car, do not buy one of these. You'll surely regret it.

Review Date: 21st March, 2006

22nd Mar 2006, 10:49

Agreed. There is no way the owner would have had all those problems 'out of the blue' if he had a proper inspection done prior to purchase.

Potential buyers, regardless of vehicle, should do what Intellichoice does so well - find out the real cost of maintaining the vehicle even if it is in good condition.

For example, buying a used Jaguar for $5,000 sounds like a great deal until you find out it needs $3,000 worth of estimated repairs in the first year.

19th Apr 2006, 05:49

I have a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim. It has 68,000 miles and had 40,000 when I purchased it one year ago for only $1000.00. I have had some problems, but nothing serious. I love my car so much that I gave her a name...Mamie. She definitely is an "old lady" car, but all in all, has been worth the 1000.00.

21st Jul 2006, 01:05

I have had a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim for six years and I wouln't trade it for ANYTHING else. The problems I have had is transmission sensors (2 of them), the exhaust system needed replaced and the headlights build up condensation. Regardless I wouldn't trade "Plummy" for the world.

23rd Jan 2007, 09:28

I don't know why you are so mad about those little problems! If you owned other cars you know that there will be more than just an oil change fee here and there. General Care could have prevented all of that! Oil changes could have ran you what $12.00 to save you $400.00?? It had miles on it what do you expect. I have had mine since 89' and there is no problems yet!

13th Mar 2007, 13:04

By the way, no Acclaim ever came with a 1.5 liter engine. I hope that was a typo, because otherwise you wouldn't know what you are talking about. Most Acclaims that you see used have not been maintained well for some reason. To anyone looking to buy one: It's worth a look, they are durable and economic cars that will probably last longer than the new economy cars. People who don't maintain them have just given them a bad reputation.