1989 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3 V6 from North America

Summary:

Good American idea, but bad engineering and cheap materials

(1) It was a project car from someone dumping it. Included a 3.3 V6 and transmission. So from the start of ownership, engine and transmission was replaced. The old Mitsu 3.0 V6 was no good due to puffing smoke. From this, should have suspected Chrysler quality is not up to par with my expectations.

(2) Power broke twice due to a cheap plastic ribbon. Bad design. Why use something like this for power windows?

(3) Rust in the body due to peeling paint.

(4) Shocks no good.

(5) Brakes are seizing... replaced both calipers, master cylinder, and rusty lines. Cannot believe the rust on these lines. How can they use such poor materials on critical parts like brakes?

(6) Fuel line leak due to rust.

(7) Water leak in the front windows, due to again rust.

(8) Exhaust has holes in it due to, you guess it.. rust.

(9) Headliner falling down.

General Comments:

This is an example of good American idea with bad engineering and cheap materials. Must be all that cost cutting back in the late 80's.

The Chrysler Minivan format is a good idea that was ahead of its time. However, the materials used in this generation minivan are totally horrific, even compared to vehicles of that era or older.

For example, safety items like brakes and fuel lines should be rust proof for up to a minimum of at least two decades. Not so on the Chrysler Minivans.

It is not just my vehicle, I've observed other T115 vans with similar problems. Now compare this with my daily drivers, which are just as old or older, and have more miles on original engines (Nissan S13 and Mercedes W123), it is like night and day. There is no excuse for the amount of problems the minivan should have.

I mainly bought this heap to haul things, but find that it is taking a lot of work to keep it on the road. Almost prepared to dump this thing in favor of a good Toyota or Nissan Truck for hauling.

It is also interesting to see how Chrysler is losing market share to imports in the minivan market they basically invented.

Review Date: 15th June, 2007

18th Jun 2007, 11:34

Yet another person who buys a 10+ year old vehicle and expects it to be like new. Perhaps this has lots of rust because it has been neither garaged or has lived through many northern or Midwest winters. 14 years old and expects it to not have rust-Get Real!! I have owned 3 Dodge/Plymouth vans with 3.3 litre engines and have found them to be very reliable and useful machines. I agree that the 3.0 is junk, but it is not Chrysler made-it is Mitsubishi.

1989 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 1.3 gas from North America

Summary:

This vehicle has proved minivans are pretty good and I'll never go back to a car or station wagon

The outside windshield washer hose was cut somehow, but I just removed the end piece, put the other end on and used electricians tape to hold it in place.

Cost $0; used what was on hand.

I had to replace both tran saxles in early 2004 for over $500. Worth the price since I had to go to Wyoming that same summer.

I took it in this past winter to have the transmission looked at as it was going clunk clunk every time I stopped. Turned out it was only loose brackets holding it in (sort of). Instead of $1300 or $1400 it was $460.

The sliding door stop (?) broke off therefore when I park in the driveway I make sure the van is in a backward tilt so the sliding door will stay open when putting things in or taking them out. This also caused the interior lights to not come on when that door was opened.

I just had the front brakes replaced as they were grinding really bad. $156.

General Comments:

I am not a fan of mini vans, but the Plymouth has proved itself very well. I don't worry about gas mileage. I just want a vehicle to do what I need it to do besides going from point A to B.

I like the front seats. More natural seating than in lower cars. I don't want to go back to sedans or wagons because of this.

I would prefer if the bench seats were "stow n' go". Removing them for cargo items can be a hassle. If I ever replace this van, the next one will have to have the aforementioned stowaway seats.

It gives me the power I need when I hit the gas. It's never stalled out on me when I need it.

Unlike three previous vehicles, this van goes up hills very well. Living in some minor foothills makes this a necessity.

Review Date: 27th June, 2005

29th Jun 2005, 06:56

1.3? Heh, made a typo did ya?