1991 Plymouth Laser Reviews - Page 2 of 6

Year of manufacture1991
First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo Manual
Previous carCadillac Cimarron

Summary:

Fast, fun and reliable!

Burns oil.

Lifters are known to go bad and make noise.

General Comments:

Excellent car!

I have driven it into the ground and it is still going. Once it started burning oil, I wasn't the best to keep up with that, but even after driving it without oil (doh!) it never failed me. I'm still driving it although I haven't done any maintenance on it in awhile.

It's incredibly powerful, holds the road and is a thrill to drive.

The only complaint I have is the room in the back seat. It was great when my kid was less than 8 years old, but adults have to seriously contort to sit back there.

Review Date: 10th March, 2005

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo 2.0 liter turbo from North America

Model year1991
Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 2.0 liter turbo Automatic
Previous carPontiac Firebird

Summary:

This car is a modern day sleeper, and a wolf in sheep's clothing

I replaced the catalytic converter at 90,000 miles. I failed an emissions test and discovered that the converter had been tampered with (hollowed out} for some reason by the previous owner.

My reverse gear slips until warm up. It gets worse with cold weather.

I have to wiggle the driver's window to roll it up.

The rear hatch couldn't stay up by itself, so replaced both of the hatch struts. Inexpensive, and easier than vise - grips.

Very heavily modified car. This is bad due to the fact that my (or many others') mechanic will not want to work on a car that has been modified internally.

General Comments:

The Laser turbo is a budget racers' dream, and is yet docile enough to be a daily driver in the snow, (even with low profile tires)!

The performance is fantastic all around (i.e, acceleration, handling, and braking).

I love the cockpit style interior and the folding rear seats make the car unexpectedly versatile for its' small size.

However, rear seat passengers will not be very comfortable because of the lack of headroom and legroom.

I beat Mustangs and Fire birds, and still get 20 to 22 mpg, (although I must use premium gas)!

The exterior styling seems somewhat bland to me, especially when compared to sister models Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Eagle Talon.

But in contrast, the muscle car you just blew the doors off of never saw it coming.

Even when stock, the Laser turbo excels.

A great value for performance, reliability, and economy.

Review Date: 9th January, 2005

21st Mar 2005, 12:58

The reason the previous owner hollowed out the catalyst inverter is that it increases fuel mileage.

31st Oct 2006, 15:05

The first car I ever race was my 1990 laser turbo, and the Prelude I raced turned around before I shifted to fourth gear.

8th Nov 2006, 21:36

I'm thinking about getting a 1991 Laser Turbo here soon, and this review was pretty helpful. There was a problem with the car though, the Mulit-Port Control Unit needs to be replaced and I've heard that the head-gaskets aren't the best in these cars. I don't know if that's true or not, but if you know, could you please let me know? My email address is Chargerriv_1969@yahoo.com I would be really appreciate it.

12th Jun 2007, 20:39

I was wondering, a friend of mine has a 1990 Laser turbo with a rebuilt engine from a 2.0 litre to a 2.2, so the guy told him, and I have an 87 GTA Trans Am with a rebuilt 350 to a 355. He's got a standard and mine's automatic. What do you guys think?

20th Jun 2007, 02:18

I just bought a 1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo. It's bone-stock and the acceleration is impressive to say the least! This is a seriously quick car.

2nd Dec 2011, 15:21

Why must you even ask?!?! You'll smoke him!!

1991 Plymouth Laser RS 2.0 liter turbo AWD from North America