1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.0 from North America

Summary:

I thoroughly enjoy this car, and plan to keep it for years to come

When I purchased the car, I had to have it smogged. I had to take it to a shop to sort out the carburetor and get it to pass. I've replaced the oxygen sensor. The exhaust was original and had holes in it, so that was repaired. The heater didn't work because the heater core was cracked. I replaced that myself. The tires were 14 years old and needed to be replaced right away.

This car had sat for ten years in a garage, and was in pretty good shape cosmetically. Most of what needed fixing has been due to old age. Because these cars get cooling air from under the nose piece, they have a tendency to overheat if the air deflector is missing. This was the case on my car. Once the deflector was replaced, the engine temp has been rock steady.

General Comments:

This car is completely original with no modifications to the body or the engine and trans. It has been easy to get parts for, and is not really any more expensive than other hobby cars. Once the carburetor was fixed and the O2 sensor replaced, the engine has run just fine.

The car handles well for its age. Once the tires were replaced, the ride was very comfortable. The steering is very responsive, and body roll is minimal.

The overdrive trans in this car is nowhere near as smooth as newer cars. It shifts into overdrive between 35 and 40 mph, which can be annoying in city traffic. Out on the freeway, the car settles in at 2200 RPM at 70 mph, which is just loafing along for the 305 V8.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2012

1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.0 TPI from North America

Summary:

Most fun I've ever had outside of bed!

Needed a complete tune up.

Installed KYB shocks and struts.

Front brake pads.

All four tires.

Repainted.

Needed new cat to pass Commie Kalifornia smog.

General Comments:

I love this car. The previous owner, who had her from 2001-2010 did too, and maintained her well.

The motor was rebuilt at 101K. 5.0 TPI is not the fastest car you'll ever drive, but it's a blast and torquey as a monster. Got it repainted the original red with silver ground effects, and a full decal kit (with screaming hood chicken of course!).

I have never driven a car that brings so many smiles to people that see it. It's just such a cool design, and brings people back to a better time for this country maybe, who knows, but it's fun to see.

T-Tops off, Judas Priest cranked, blasting down PCH to Malibu... yeah it's fun.

They're dirt cheap. If you can find one that's been loved and maintained, grab it, you won't be sorry. Viva the 80's!

Review Date: 21st February, 2012

1985 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

GREAT CAR

Interior is slightly falling apart. roof fabric is coming off and center consol is pulling apart. And like most firebirds of its year the weight of the doors have pulled it down making some times hard to close. It could use a bigger engine and a shift kit because the automatic shifting is way to fast.

General Comments:

Best handling of any car I have drove it can take very sharp corners at 90 k/m with literally no body roll, this is due to the front and rear sway bars. its just great for corners.

Review Date: 25th March, 2008

1985 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 from North America

Summary:

No trade or money would convince me to disown it

My doors began to hang due to the pins on the hinges.

Had to replace my transmission at 150,000 mile.

It was also beginning to burn oil when I purchased it at 115,000 miles.

AC system went bad when I recently bought it. To expensive to fix at the time, I was only a high school student.

Seats have worned out badly.

T-Tops need new seals, doors like I said are hanging due to hinges, doors also need new seals.

Difficult to find replacements, like seat belts that match your inside.

General Comments:

Like one of the commentators said, this cars are not for people who are looking for economic cars when it comes to gas.

I love my trans am, even though it needs a lot of work, not because of the way I treat it, but simply the way I bought it.

I love the handling and its response.

I made some changes, I took out the 305 engine and replaced it with a 350.

I also had some other modifications along the way.

I only wish there were shops that could replace everything as it came from the dealer.

Review Date: 27th February, 2008