1985 Pontiac Firebird Reviews - Page 2 of 6

Model year1985
Year of manufacture1984
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carBuick Buick Special

Summary:

This is a fabulous car, and despite obstacles, has proven to be quite reliable

Engine exploded at approx 65,000 miles, had to get engine replaced.

Needed new fuel pump and exhaust pipe from the converter, back.

Needed new air sensor.

General Comments:

This is the best car I have ever owned. Then again, I am biased for personal sentiment, and an enthusiasm for Firebirds overall.

Granted, there have been a few issues in the duration of her ownership, such as a blown engine and exhaust issues.

Despite a few mechanical issues she has had, she has very good gas mileage, her (new) engine runs very smoothly, and she fits like a glove.

Her cabin is clean, in good shape, and she has a good sound system.

Review Date: 30th June, 2005

1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 6.0 from North America

First year of ownership1985
Previous carPontiac Firebird

Summary:

The best car you will ever own

Stock 2.8 V-6 block cracked.

Computer died.

Goes through tires fast...

Spoiler fell off while driving and busted through a state trooper's windshield, that cost a big chunk of money.

Right side headlight motor broke.

General Comments:

VERY fast car. I put a older Firebird 6.0 Heavy Duty engine in it...

Body is very good about not rusting.

Inside if kept clean stays in very good condition.,Don't fall apart.

Any performance you want in it your can put it in.

I have 780 HP motor and MT street legal slicks...

Very cheap for good solid hardcore muscle parts..

Review Date: 30th August, 2004

1st Sep 2004, 17:05

A Trans Am that came with a 2.8 V6?

Would have loved to have seen the spoiler flying off and hitting the state trooper's windshield, though! LOL.

2nd Feb 2005, 23:14

To the above comment. Please don't compare your late model Bonneville 3.8 liter V6 to the 2.8 liter found in a 1985 Firebird. What is the point of that?

Guess what? Later, i.e. fouth generation base Firebirds and Camaros have the same 3.8 liter engine as your Bonneville and guess what else, they are just as fast as your Bonneville especially with the manual transmission which is obviously not available on the Bonneville.

I just don't like apples being compared with oranges!!

18th Jul 2005, 12:21

I recently bought a 85 Firebird that has had an Edelbrock 4-bolt 350 & an aftermarket 5spd installed in it. It is hystercally fast to drive, but gets almost no traction due to the poor weight distribution, and also handles less than perfect, and gets bad gas mileage. I do however really like it, even though I originally bought it to take the motor out to put in my 54 Chevy, and never intended to drive it. I think I will sell it for a profit at the end of the summer instead. It's very rough, but could be finished up nicely by someone with more time & money to spend on it than I.

Lan Hellie, Colville.

1985 Pontiac Firebird TA 5.0 HO 305 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 HO 305 Manual
Previous carPontiac Firebird

Summary:

Excellent overall value for the money

I had to have the horn fixed when I first bought the car to pass inspection.

General Comments:

First car was a 1985 firebird with V6, second car was 85 trans-am with 5 liter 4 barrel carburetor high output with 5 speed manual transmission. Handles better and faster than anything I've driven (I've driven an old 71 corvette before)

Review Date: 23rd July, 2004

1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 351 from North America

Engine and transmission 351 Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

A wonderfully crafted machine!

The heater core blew at 125,000 miles.

Seats are badly worn.

T-tops leak from the broken seal.

The factory radio is badly in need of replacement.

The paint is in need of some care.

The driver-side door handle will not open without some tricks and I cannot open either door from the inside.

General Comments:

The heater core repair was not very expensive, however it was very time consuming. Now that it is replaced, I have no problems with it overheating at all.

The rear seats are being reupholstered soon and really are not in horrible damage, but, need new fabric.

The seal for the T-tops is not terribly expensive, but, finding them is another story.

I have yet to figure out how to replace the handle on this door, but, I will do this eventually. Right now it is not an issue.

This car is a great buy and handles wonderfully. I purchased it from a friend and new all of the little tricks that go with it.

There is a new transmission in it with less than 10,000 miles on it. And, since I have had it, I have had no problems with it at all.

This car handles great and is sure to beat anything in a race!

Review Date: 20th May, 2004

19th Feb 2007, 13:11

Well, I will comment on this, even though it has been 3 years since this post.

My 1985 Trans Am is still a killer in performance, looks and sound. The low rumble even before they see her, makes them even more curious, and then when they see her, wow!

Kids run to her, young and old men stare, (most) women "try" to ignore her, and old ladies shake their finger at her.

My T/A has been repainted metallic sliver, inside done, and a crate 5.7L engine put in. Next is the heater core. It is leaking antifreeze, which means the fluid stays at the low mark, but never empty. Luck of the Irish I guess.

Yes, T-top leaks, but I wash by hand anyway. Buy it or keep it if you own one.. My kids, son 14 and daughter 16 are already fighting of which will inherit her.

"Over my dead body!" says me.