10th Mar 2016, 06:30

It's a matter of preference really. I personally think the Olds 307 is a more durable motor as the Chevy 305 tends to develop top end problems like valve taps, etc at higher mileage. I've had several cars with the 307 and they run forever... radiator and valve cover gaskets were an issue on all of them, but these are not all that expensive to fix.

11th Mar 2016, 11:48

Vintage plates and insurance means car shows, cruises, car club events and parades. No driving to work or daily driving. Limits I've found are around 2500 max allowable miles a year. Antique plates require consideration. No grocery stores, going to stadiums or road trips. I have had several cars this way. Plus they need to be in a secured garage at home. I have one car now that is over 20 years old, but I won't antique it. I would rather use it day or night during the week without limitations on insurance coverage.

11th Mar 2016, 23:53

I would buy a second speedo.

More smiles per mile!

8th Oct 2019, 11:22

Sure, insurance fraud. Why :) not?

9th Oct 2019, 12:33

There’s no insurance fraud. What are you talking about? You antique a car that qualifies by its age. You then buy collector car insurance like Hagerty. However this insurance has many limitations. No driving to and from work, no driving unless it’s to a show, cruise night or club meeting. Or an antique car parade. You can’t just drive it where you feel. Also this type of insurance has annual mileage restrictions, say 2500 miles which limits its exposure on roads. Lastly you submit 3 pics and have it kept in a second locked garage. Not on the street or driveway.

The insurance is quite minimal to pay for. I like it because it’s agreed value. Secondly there is everyday insurance like most people have. If I want to tag a classic or sports car and drive a lot this is fine. It’s more money, no annual mileage restrictions and you can use it to go to a stadium etc unlike the restricted insurance. I like driving a car anytime I feel like it. But my cars that only go to shows are antiques. Some only driven 250-500 miles a year. Also, when you antique it, there’s only one inspection for life as long as it's kept titled in your name.

Before you throw the word fraud, be sure you know. It would be nice if you were just happy with what you drive. Or wish the same for others. Most car guys are typically a really fun group that are that way. That enjoy vehicles. Hopefully others on here also have learned the legal way to antique a qualifying vehicle. Or simply run straight everyday tags and add on to existing policies. Ask for a multi car discount doing so, and it also may save you doing homeowners with the same insurance policy.