1986 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham 4.3 V6 from Sweden

Summary:

Surprisingly economical car with US-movie appeal, yet reasonably modest in appearance

In twenty-one years:

Starter motors died repeatedly.

Fuel pump deceased twice, once after touring Mexico, and once after being parked for years.

Eats light bulbs on an ongoing basis.

Catalytic converter went twice.

... and that's it. This car has been a jiffy to own.

General Comments:

My friends call it the "FBI Car", and it turns all the heads at home in Sweden. Flashy modern cars stand no chance against it when cruising through the village. It makes me the fairy tale prince of southern Lapland.

I have owned this car for 21 years now, and it is now so old that I was able to get vintage plates and vintage insurance for it. That makes it very cheap to run. Add to this its mindbogglingly primitive technology, and it is a recipe for economical car ownership. Yes, even the fuel consumption is very modest - it does on average 10L / 100 km in any driving situation. With the big fuel tank, that gives me an outrageous range of almost 900 km.

It is a very appealing car in many ways, with which I have toured all of North America and Europe, as well as Scandinavia in the past 21 years, and always felt happy in doing so.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2015

1986 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham 305 from North America

Summary:

My opinion of this car is that it's a big, super sweet land yacht

Headliner bubbling.

Electric sunroof switch sticking.

General Comments:

Awesome comfortable car. I am the 2nd owner. 305 V8. Perfect highway and mountain cruiser, power everything, air etc. Everything dark blue, body, vinyl top, interior. Sunday driver car only.

Prior to this I was the 2nd owner of a 1985 Parisienne V8 silver/grey for 8 years, my daily driver.

Review Date: 4th January, 2015

11th Jan 2015, 05:00

FYI - The 305 Chevy is a somewhat superior (in the sedans) alternative to the 307 Olds (in the station wagons), in that the 305 has more power (165 vs 140 HP), and a less complicated emission control system that tends to cause trouble (the 307 had a myriad of vacuum actuated devices that the 305 did not have).

10th Mar 2016, 06:30

It's a matter of preference really. I personally think the Olds 307 is a more durable motor as the Chevy 305 tends to develop top end problems like valve taps, etc at higher mileage. I've had several cars with the 307 and they run forever... radiator and valve cover gaskets were an issue on all of them, but these are not all that expensive to fix.

11th Mar 2016, 11:48

Vintage plates and insurance means car shows, cruises, car club events and parades. No driving to work or daily driving. Limits I've found are around 2500 max allowable miles a year. Antique plates require consideration. No grocery stores, going to stadiums or road trips. I have had several cars this way. Plus they need to be in a secured garage at home. I have one car now that is over 20 years old, but I won't antique it. I would rather use it day or night during the week without limitations on insurance coverage.

11th Mar 2016, 23:53

I would buy a second speedo.

More smiles per mile!

1986 Pontiac Parisienne 307 V8 from North America

Summary:

Amazing

I've went through 5 rear ends. I've had to replace the lower A arm, a ball joint, and the tie rods.

In 2010, I had to replace the brake master cylinder.

General Comments:

This is the best car ever; it just won't die.

The seats are very comfortable, it drives great, and had good gas mileage.

Review Date: 12th January, 2011

12th Jan 2011, 14:15

What was the logic or reasoning behind going through 5 rear axle/differential assemblies? I have a 1978 Mark V, and I have the original still in great shape. Is it due to a fatal design fault of that type, or are you just kinda tough on them? No offense intended, just curious.

12th Jan 2011, 17:02

These are amazing cars.

My daily driver now is a 1981 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham coupe, best $500 car ever.

It has over 335000 k on it, and still runs like a charm, no engine noise, and burns very little oil.

Rides better than most new cars do, very quiet and smooth on the highway, super comfortable too.

I love my Pontiac!

13th Jan 2011, 06:21

I would've thought it was rare to have a rear end go out in a normal car lifespan of say up to 300,000 miles.